Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Straight From The Pony's Mouth: "Do You Want To Hear Something Ironic?"

The Pony was scheduled to go in at 3:30 on Tuesday afternoon. Don't you worry that he's being given short hours. With over 50 hours worked last week, his virtual paycheck is going to be just fine. Temps were in the upper 80s as he readied himself to leave.
 
"I'm only taking one water jug today. That should be enough for four hours."
 
He filled it partially with ice from FRIG II's freezer. We had a little tiff about ICE CUBES the other day. I used that term, and The Pony begged to differ.
 
"We don't have ice CUBES in this house!"
 
"Okay. Fine. Ice half-moons. Are you happy now?"
 
I think he was. Just for the reaction it got out of me. Anyhoo... he filled his jug with ice and delicious well water. The Pony says he hates bottled water, and that the thing he missed most from home while he was at college was our well water. Thanks. I missed you too, Pony.
 
Anyhoo... he went to the living room for a minute and talked to Farmer H, who was kicked back in the recliner. Then came back to the kitchen to tell me about his Wednesday plans on his day off. Then off he went to have some lunch at Burger King before proceeding to work. He sent me a text from Burger King.
 
"BK's soda is watered down today."
 
"Sad bird."
 
"Also. Dangit. Went through the effort of getting that waterjug filled, then left it on the couch. I'll just grab a bottle from Casey's. It'll be fine for a couple of hours."
 
"I'd bring it, but I haven't showered and I don't know where you'll be. I can put it in T-Hoe and text when I leave."
 
"I'm going to be working Mom. That timescale doesn't work."
 
"I meant if you're in Sis-Town I might pass by where you are."

"Not worth the effort, I'll be fine."

"Okay. It will take more than one bottle to stay hydrated."

"Not having water for a few hours when I just had a lot isn't going to kill me, Mom."

"Okay."

When I mailed my AAA renewal bill and SilverRedO's payment, I sent a text.

"At post office. Have jug if I can deliver it to you in the area."

I drove on back towards home, making a stop at the School-Turn Casey's. I figured if The Pony wanted the water, he'd respond by then. Not a big deal. It didn't hurt that water jug to ride along to town with me. If I didn't hear anything, The Pony was probably in another town. I just wanted to be the hero, like when my mom would step up to bail me out of a situation like Genius leaving an assignment at home that was due that day. 25 minutes later, I got a text from The Pony.

"I can't check this thing while I'm working."

"No need to answer. I'm at the GSCS now."

When The Pony got home from work, after a stop by The Devil's Playground to look for smaller shorts, he walked his dainty hooves down the13 rail-less basement steps.

"Do you want to hear something ironic? When I was thirsty and thought about the water I forgot, my mouth watered!"

"Heh, heh."

"Don't you think? Are you starting to understand irony by now?"

"Yes. I think so. I think, technically, on paper, that IS irony."
 
I hope there's not going to be a quiz with an essay section...


4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Isn't that nice that The Pony is willing to educate the ignorant and the uniformed.

By the time he leaves for his own pasture, you might be at a level where you can function on your own--without him.

How fortunate you are...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I KNOW! I am fortunate to have such a CARING Pony! So selfless, always thinking of ways to HELP OTHERS. Like washing up JUST HIS dishes when he prepares a meal (for himself). It's thoughtless of me to leave dirty dishes and silverware beside the sink at night, waiting for hot water the next day. They might be in The Pony's way when he prepares his meal after a two-hour soak in the big triangle tub in the master bathroom.

River said...

I'm not fully clued in on irony either and even some sarcasm slips by me now and then.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
It's only taken me 8 years to get a rudimentary grasp of irony. Not that I'm bragging...