Wednesday, July 14, 2021

The Pony Discovers His Peanuts

The Pony arrived home after his 11-hour work day, all smiles with a personal revelation.

"When I make my next trip to the Devil's Playground, I'm going to get some peanuts. In the little packs. It will be cheaper than buying them at Casey's during my break. The regular salted peanuts. I think there's 240 calories in a pack. About half of what's in donuts."

"Yeah. I used to take them to school. They're a good snack. The protein and fat take longer to digest than carbs. So you don't feel hungry for a while."

"I might also try some other nuts. Like cashews. I'd really like pecans, but I don't think they come in packs like that. Heh, heh. I know it sounds like a 'That's what she said' joke, but I really like to eat hot nuts."

"Heh, heh. When we used to go to Sears on Grand, when I was a kid, we always stopped by the candy counter, and sometimes got hot nuts. They smelled wonderful when we entered the store."

"My nuts are hot because I leave them in the LLV!"

"You could get a bigger pack of pecans, and then put them in snack-size baggies to take with you."

"I'd really like it if we could make them like Chex Mix. Like put the stuff on them that you use, and roast them in the oven."

"I'd worry they might burn."

"You could put in just the Chex cereal with them. Not the Bugles or pretzels or Cheerios. Just Chex and nuts, and oil and the garlic powder, garlic salt, and Worcestershire sauce."

"Yeah, that might work. I still have some nuts and Chex left. But you'll need the pecans, I think."

"Maybe we can do that on Sunday?"

"Sure. It helps when you get the pans in and out of the oven for me."
 
I guess we'll call this snack Chex Nuts.

5 comments:

angie said...

The Sears store scent is a wonderful childhood memory. I think that is what heaven smells like. Ben Franklin next door had its own particular scent too.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Angie,
I don't know about Ben Franklin's smell, but back home we had a Woolworth's with its own distinctive scent. Of course my favorite section was the toys, where I was allowed to have a single Matchbox car if I was good. You know I was!

River said...

He's only now discovering his (Pea)nuts?
I'll read the rest of the post now...........

Sioux Roslawski said...

The Pony likes his nuts in a package? Hee hee!

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Yes. The Pony has always been one to have his nose in a book, or his nose in his Gameboy. Quite unobservant. Though I'm not sure I wanted his nose in (pea)nuts.

***
Sioux,
Yes. And Wednesday, he couldn't wait to tell me:

"Mom! Do you know what the label said at Casey's when I was looking at nuts? It said SALTED NUT TUBE!"

Heh, heh! I even let that "looking at nuts" part slide. I'm slippin'.