Sunday, July 18, 2021

The Pony, The Punter

We're not talking about football here. So don't think The Pony's broken ankle has turned him into a gridiron kicker. We're talking about the flat-bottomed boat called a punt, and the driver of such who wields a long pole to push on the bottom of the waterway. He's a punter. Like the gondolier of a gondola, but with a pole not a paddle, and without the singing and striped shirt. But I'm getting ahead of myself...

The Pony may lack common sense, but he's a pretty good problem solver. I'd say he's in the Genius class of problem-solving. They get it from Farmer H, that mechanical mindset. So I was not really surprised when I came upstairs Friday morning, and found that The Pony had discovered a new way to ambulate.

"Oh, Mom. I don't feel comfortable walking on those old crutches, so I went in Genius's room and got his rolly chair. I can go all over the house with it."

"I heard something up here, and I was worried that you might have fallen in the kitchen!"

"No. That was just me trying out the wheels. To see if I could get over that little metal strip that divides the carpet from the vinyl. I CAN! It's so much easier to get around in the kitchen than on the carpet. That's why I use a crutch to propel myself in the living room."

Yes. Like a punter in a punt, The Pony was poling crutching himself around on a student rolly chair.

"I though Genius had a different chair. With arms?"

"With ARM. It was like a mesh office chair, but with only one armrest. Because it came from Goodwill. He took it with him when he got that college house."

"Okay. That's the one I remembered, but I'm glad I found this one. Because IT can get through the bathroom and bedroom doors easy. Not sure the other one could with me in it."

The Pony. The Brother of Invention.

5 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

To entertain yourselves, maybe you should get another rolly chair and you two could play soccer or some other game...

River said...

That is Genius, well done Pony. I wish I had some of that genius brain material.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Oh, we have another rolly chair. It's the TIME that I don't have. Everything has gone to Not-Heaven around here. I have a TO-DO-FOR-EVERYONE-ELSE list.

***
River,
I wish I has some gadgetry knowledge. I might have been okay in the Stone Age.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

That Pony is a thinker! I used a skateboard when I broke my foot. I might have enjoyed the chair a lot more.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I think The Pony has a skateboard, given to him one Christmas by The Veteran, his brother. As I recall, we did not encourage him to ride it, for fear of a BROKEN BONE.

Now I have an image of you sitting on the skateboard, with a team of dachshunds hitched to it...