Friday, April 1, 2022

The Shasta Saga Continues...

Farmer H had proclaimed he would get my Shasta Diet Cola on Thursday. I made sure to tell him that Save A Lot opens at 8:00. That's when he goes to work on Pony House. But Farmer H told me:

"I might get it on my way home."

Indeed. For the first time in months, Farmer H came back to bed after his 6:30 wake-up and bathroom break. Of all the times to waste time! When my Shasta Diet Cola was awaiting a ride to the Mansion!

When I got ready to leave for town later in the afternoon, I called Farmer H to see if he'd gotten my Shasta Diet Cola yet. He had not.
 
"I'm going to stop by there on my way home, as soon as I finish caulking The Pony's shower."

So I didn't offer to go by and get it myself. Farmer H had it covered. Instead, I went in Country Mart to get bananas. They're better than the Save A Lot bananas.

Farmer H got home around 4:00. He carried in a 12 pack of Shasta Diet Cola, and set it on the floor at the end of the kitchen counter.

"Oh, good! I finally have my Shasta! Did you only bring in one?"

"What do you mean? I only BOUGHT one."

"WHAT? I told you to get two! I've told you that all along. How do you think I ended up with TWO 12 packs of Root Beer?"

"I don't remember you telling me to get two."

"You don't remember a lot of things."

"It's a good thing I looked at the soda when I got it out to the truck. It was 
DIET DR. PEPPER."

"You mean Diet Dr. Pop? That's the Shasta name for it."

"Yeah. That's what it was. So I had to go back in."

"You had to return it? And get the Diet Cola?"

"No. I kept it. I'll take it over to the house to drink it. But I went back in to get the Diet Cola. It was all mixed up. The cases of the different kinds were all together. I had to make sure to get the Diet Cola. It was up on the top shelf. They had Orange mixed in with it."

"THAT'S how I got the Root Beer by mistake! I was reaching up to the top shelf, and had to move some around because it was too tight in the cardboard. I bet they had Root Beer mixed in behind the Diet Cola in the same box, and that's how I got it."

"That's possible. It was all mixed together."

THEN the unthinkable happened. Farmer H wanted a Wild Turkey, and the only soda there to mix it with was my precious SHASTA DIET COLA! One of my 12 cans wasted on Farmer H!

Friday, I am going back to Save A Lot to get TWO boxes of Shasta Diet Cola. I will be scrutinizing the box before I go to the checkout.

5 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I think you should get 4! $ 12 packs is only 2 cases and if they are fazing them out, you want to get more while they have them! I can't believe you trusted him to follow directions!

River said...

I think you should save yourself a lot of heartache and get as many boxes as you can. Have a bag boy get them off the shelf and help you to the car with them. Then hide them somewhere in the house where Farmer H is never likely to look.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I can't believe I trusted Farmer H to follow directions, either! That must be a residual brain skip due to my Unfortunate HospitVALzation!

I went back today, and got two more. So that's 3 we have now. Save A Lot is not phasing them out as far as I know. It was Country Mart where the stock gal told Farmer H they were not restocking Shasta.

***
River,
Save A Lot had 19 boxes today. I took two. I am pretty confident that they will have some next time I go there. Unless people hear that there's a shortage somewhere, and buy them up to jack up the prices and sell them on eBay!

Right now my two new boxes are in T-Hoe's rear. I made no mention of them to Farmer H. I hid two cans on the bottom shelf of FRIG II, so I'll have them cold. If Farmer H thinks he wants one, he'll have to get a hot one from the box on the floor of the kitchen.

Sioux Roslawski said...

And then hide it. That turkey might want some more Wild Turkey and a brown soda to mix with it...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I have NOT asked Farmer H to carry it into the Mansion. Even IF it might have been mentioned, he would forget that I bought it. So I guess he'll go back to mixing his Wild Turkey with Diet Mountain Dew. Or maybe Shasta Root Beer...