Sunday, April 17, 2022

Curb Non-Service

Stop me if you've heard this one. Heh, heh! AS IF you could stop Mrs. HM from prattling on and re-telling a story. Sometimes I'm as bad as Mr. S at the lunch table during the Semi Weekly Meeting of the Newmentia Lunch Time Think Tank.

Anyhoo... I forget if I told you about what happened last week during our stormy time. The power had gone off twice at the Mansion, for a couple minutes, and then an hour later for about 10 minutes. Thank the Gummi Mary, it came back on. This was the day before the tornado in the forecast.

Anyhoo... I found a parking spot in front of Casey's. Several parking spots! How lucky! I was gathering my winners to cash in when I sensed somebody at T-Hoe's window. It was the cashier who witnessed me getting robbed by the Country Mart lottery machine a while back.

"Oh, hi."

"I just came out to tell you that we can't sell anything."

"My power was off twice already!"

"Ours is back now, but our computers won't reboot. So we can't sell anything."

"Thank you for coming out to tell me!"

"You're welcome. I just wanted to let you know."

What great customer service! Or NON-service.

I felt bad yesterday when I went in Casey's, and that gal was working. She had a bandage on her left hand and wrist. Like a gauze bandage, but with some of that stretchy stuff to hold it on.

"Oh, did you hurt your hand?"

"Yes!"

"What happened?"

"Well, I managed to pour boiling water over it. They say it has 1st and 2nd-degree burns."
 
"Oh, no! That makes me hurt just to think about it! I hope you get to feeling better."

"Thanks. You have a nice day."

"You too."

Poor gal. Imagine how hard it would be to come to work with your hand bandaged and hurting. Hard to drive. Hard to count back money. Hard to tear off scratchers. 

I almost felt guilty for being a customer, but she was as nice as you could want.

6 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

She sounds like a great worker. These days, that's a rarity.

Perhaps someday soon an international classic of a short story will emerge with the title: A Good Worker is Hard to Find...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Maybe I could get that unibrow guy, from the group ALABAMA, who sings "Can't Keep a Good Man Down," to do a song about her!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEjJ6iTeH_I

River said...

Ouch! I hope her hand heals fast with no scarring. I've worked with injuries in the past, much better than sitting at home doing nothing in my opinion. Working takes your mind off it. Burns do hurt a lot though, I remember one girl coming in to do her shift, so sunburned she could barely walk, we have no idea how she managed to drive. Her mum worked there too and sent her home with instructions to call a doctor.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I see your point about working. As long as the job doesn't hurt the injury MORE, at least you wouldn't be sitting around thinking about the pain. Driving would be terrible with a burned hand trying to grip the steering wheel. Or burned legs sticking to the seat!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Burns are so painful! Nice that she managed to maintain a decent attitude.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Yeah. She usually LOOKS kind of cranky, but she's always nice to ME!