Monday, April 25, 2022

It Wasn't Just Me

Friday evening, Farmer H brought home Subway for supper. It's the least he could do. After all, each month I cut out food coupons for him from that annoying, fall-apart, slick loose-leaf advertising thingy that gets stuffed all willy-nilly into EmBee. Sometimes it tears apart when I rip it from her cylindrical innards. Farmer H usually prefers the Burger King coupons, or maybe KFC. Now and then he'll use the Hardee's coupons, or Dairy Queen, or Steak n Shake. Rarely Subway.

I guess this deal was too good to pass up, or else Farmer H was just yearning for a Subway Sandwich. He usually gets the Cold Cut Trio. This time, he got the chicken. I forget what it's called. It's those slabs of chicken sitting in some liquid under the lid of that metal container. I used to get it. Not bad, depending on what you put on it. Anyhoo... I had the Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki. It's probably been over a year since I had a Subway sandwich. The Pony was not a fan, so we partook of other take-out options while he was here.

When I bit into my Sweet Onion Chicken Teriyaki on wheat, I was not pleased. The sandwich-maker had put all the pickles in one place! WHO DOES THAT? They're sliced pickles. Surely, a normal person would scatter them across the sandwich. Not dump a stack of about 10 slices in one bite area. The coupon was for BUY ONE FOOTLONG, GET ONE FREE. Quite a deal. You might think the pickle problem was only on a six-inch section of the Subway. But no. The exact same pickle distribution was found on the other portion.

Not only was my pickling suspect, but the taste of my sandwich was off. Like maybe they'd tweaked the sauce. It was not just the pickle/no-pickle flavor throwing off the taste. Oh, I still ate my sandwich! I just figured maybe my taste was off, perhaps not remembering what that sandwich actually tasted like after so long.

Farmer H carried his paper plate into the kitchen to throw away.
 
"That wasn't as good as usual. I don't know what it was. Kind of like the chicken wasn't no good."
 
Let the record show that our sandwiches had DIFFERENT kinds of chicken. Mine was in cubes, his in planks. I don't think it was the chicken. I think maybe it was a new additive or cheaper ingredients in the bread or chicken or sauce. Farmer H also had cheese on his sandwich, but I take mine without. 
 
Something is amiss in Subway. I don't know if it's all over, or just local. As far as I know, the owner is still the same. Maybe it's something with the supply chain that has altered the standard ingredients. We may give it one more try, since there's another BOGO coupon. But it will be Subway's last chance.

4 comments:

River said...

oh no! I hope the next Subway dinner is much better. I rarely buy Subway sandwiches and when I do I don't get meat on them. Not any kind of meat. No sauces either. Because if anything is going "off" it will be the sauces and the meat first. So my Subway is always Cheese, plus extra cheese, red onions, and olives, with extra onions and olives too since they put on so little to begin with. and I always get the Italian herb and garlic bread.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Your version actually sounds good, for having no meat. I like cheese, just not on my chicken sandwich. I also love onions and olives.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

You are probably right about the ingredients being cheaper and tasting off. Everybody is trying to cut corners.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Yeah, they think we won't notice. Or they figure at least they'll get ONE more purchase out of everybody before we figure it out.