Wednesday, April 6, 2022

Part 3 Of The Heat-Fueled Kentucky-Derby-Contending Trotter Mrs. HM

After squeezing my knee into T-Hoe, courtesy of the Close-Parker, I drove through Farmer H's pharmacy lot and into the parking lot of the Gas Station Chicken Store. Upon entry, I saw two women standing to my left, at the little lottery station between the two bathroom doors. They were filling out the draw ticket thingies where you pick your own numbers, then hand it to the cashier to scan in to print your ticket.

I got in line behind a man, who was in line behind a woman currently paying. Another woman was on the other side, where I used to stand after procuring my delicious 44 oz Diet Coke. So I knew there were three people ahead of me.

The lady was buying a scratcher and gas and some kind of snack. She asked for a bag. While I was waiting, one of the Draw Ticket Ladies turned around. She paused a moment, then walked up in front of me to the waiting man, put her hand on his shoulder, and said,

"Well hi there!"

He looked at her kind of funny, then said, "Hello."

And SHE CONTINUED TO STAND THERE! She was obviously cutting line! I don't think they knew each other. They didn't make small talk about old times. Draw Ticket Lady DID comment on the picture taped to the plexiglass, which was an old white man with a mask under his chin.

"I wonder what his picture is up there for."

The Lady in Waiting on the other side of the line said, "Maybe he won the red ticket drawing for gas."
 
Draw Ticket Lady said, "Maybe he didn't pay for his gas." 

Man Waiting said, "You gotta pay for your gas before you pump it."

Which is not correct at the Gas Station Chicken Store. They let you pump first. They have really good cameras outside! But they say the police don't really want to chase down the gas thieves because they get released as soon as they haul them in. It's a low priority call. So the owners have said they put up the pictures, hoping somebody knows them and will tell them. So in case they just forgot to pay, they'll come in, or if they don't want the embarrassment.

Anyhoo, I didn't see anything written on that old man's picture. It was such a closeup that I couldn't tell if it was taken inside or outside. But on the wall by the door was a picture of a young black man by the gas pumps, with a note asking "Have you seen this man? Drove off without paying for gas."
 
Now I was not fourth in line, but FIFTH! Ain't that a bite in the rumpus? And to make matters worse, three men came in, one after the other, and I saw another car pulling up to the pumps. The Gas Station Chicken Store is tight quarters! We were already taking up the room by the door. Those guys had to go down the third aisle to get in line, because I was blocking the middle aisle, and the waiters in front of me were blocking the soda fountain aisle. When yet ANOTHER dude came in the door, I'd had enough.
 
"It's too crowded in here for me! I'll go somewhere else today."
 
Out the door I went, fit to be tied over that line-cutter. I took my business to Orb K. Where my day did not get any better...
 
TO BE CONTINUED...

4 comments:

River said...

Excuse me draw ticket lady, no cutting in, the end of the line is back here behind me! Some people think they are SO entitled!!
I have those forms where I pick my own numbers and I keep them to use every time I enter. Yesterday I put on two of them and the girl at the counter complimented me on the neatness of them. She said some people are so careless marking the numbers, the machine can't read which number they wanted.
I would have been uneasy at the numbers of people too, but I don't think I would have left, unless they started sneezing and/or coughing.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I didn't even think about all those people sneezing or coughing. I don't like feeling trapped, and I don't like people! At the movies, I've always preferred the last row, near the door and away from people.

First of all, you know I usually won't cause a scene. I might mutter under my breath. Or say, "Oh, I thought the line was back here." BUT... Draw Ticket Lady was black. I didn't want be a VIRAL KAREN for "accusing" her of cutting line. Man Waiting, and Lady in Waiting on the soda aisle were also black. And the other draw ticket filler-outer. Too many words against mine in a possible altercation. Better safe than sorry these days. After all, Man Waiting allowed Draw Ticket Lady to stand there like they were acquaintances. And I think they were making a point about the two posted pictures.

Also, I wanted to get out of there in case that other draw ticket filler-outer got in front of me too! Not sure I could have held my tongue if that happened. I guess that makes me racist for NOT calling out a line-cutter due to race... It shouldn't matter, but the news these days is full of incidents that say otherwise.

River said...

Oh yes! Avoid incidents at all costs.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I have no desire to be cancelled by cancel culture!