Thursday, April 14, 2022

Waiting For The Other Horseshoe To Drop

This is the time of day when I miss The Pony the most. It's 6:20 as I type this, and I'm used to keeping one ear on my cell phone, for the text from The Pony saying that he's clocked out, and on the way home. That would be a signal to start some supper, and run a bath in the big triangle tub in the master bathroom. Now I have nothing to look forward to! Just another evening with Farmer H in the recliner, watching Gunsmoke or Cheyenne or The Waltons. Loudly.

I am glad The Pony has this week off. Especially today, Wednesday. We had such bad storms in the forecast that ALL THE LOCAL SCHOOLS CANCELED CLASSES! Just because there might be tornadoes during the time school let out. 

Sweet Gummi Mary! Where was this policy back when I was teaching??? I got stuck there one afternoon due to an ill-timed snowstorm. The buses couldn't run. That meant the teachers couldn't leave. Somebody's gotta supervise those kiddos! Back then, after an extra hour of this forced captivity, our counselor told me, "You have a long way to drive. Why don't you go pick up your boys and start home? We can manage."

WooHoo! Wasn't that sweet of her? We were not even remotely good friends. But she had common sense. When I made my way to Elementia to get 5th-grade Genius, and 2nd-grade Pony, only one of them could be found. Genius was missing! Turns out he was given the privilege of shoveling snow at the side of the building. Without gloves.

Anyhoo... back then, I had a head start, and it still took me an HOUR to get home, rather than the usual 25 minutes. The Athletic Director had a 4WD Bronco, and drove some kids home (with parent permission) because nobody was able to come get them. The cooks had churned out hamburgers to feed supper to the remainders of the student body. Thank the Gummi Mary, nobody had to stay overnight.

Today was just rain and hail and lightning and possible tornadoes. But if the timing was right (or wrong), then those kids would have been kept on school premises until it was safe to let them go.

Turns out we only had heavy rain. I'm sure some people's heads are exploding at the missed day of school. Better safe than sorry.

I hope The Pony gets clarification on his safety procedures when he goes back to work after his time off. I don't want him flying around like the cow in Twister.

6 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Yes, one school district (East St. Louis) had no school yesterday. Was it due to the weather? I'm not sure.

I had at least one day where the kids (and teachers) had to linger, because of snow.

I'm sure some heads DID explode. A day of attendance (and money per head) wasted for no reason? The horror!

Have you gotten hooked on the once-daily game of Wordle? That might give you something to look forward to, if you like that sort of thing. Or, you and Farmer H can return to your "honeymoon" days--to your time before there were kids (at least your two kids).

That certainly sounds like it would be fun... (the sound of Sioux laughing like a maniac, knowing that karma--as in an early retirement--is going to be taking a bite out of your rumpus)

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I AM hooked on Wordle. In fact, I play it shortly after midnight when the new word is available. Genius and The Pony both text their results.

I hear your maniacal laughter, Madam, and the image of you rubbing your hands in glee is burned in my brain. My rumpus is girding itself against karma chomps.

River said...

I remember that cow in Twister and can imagine The Pony getting swept up since he has lost weight and is definitely lighter than a cow. I also remember the garden of that lady with all the twirly, tinkling bits that let her know a storm is coming.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Just about my only regret concerning Pony House is that it doesn't have a basement. As for work, I suppose if The Pony was close enough, he could return to the main post office for safety. It has an underground parking garage. Hopefully it's in better repair that the LLVs (Long Life Vehicles) and that stair rail off the loading dock!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

WE get your weather a day later. So far nothing worse than a few downed trees and those trees were already dead. I am just longing for for consistent weather temperatures. Next year I will know more about my new home and the weather patterns.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I don't know if you can get tornadoes there. I hope you have a safe place and a plan if you do.