Saturday, April 16, 2022

I KNEW I Shouldn't Have Switched Lines

I hit the afternoon rush in Country Mart on Friday. You might think it would have been matriarchs loading up on fixin's for Easter Dinner. It was not. It was a couple of old ladies with kind-of full carts, and men with single or a handful of items. Not even a cart.

Of course nobody was in line at the two open registers when I wheeled by with my cart/walker, on the way to get a 3-pack of Puffs With Lotion. I passed two ladies, who were apparently on their way to a line. When I came back they were both waiting. 

I chose the line with two customers, rather than the line with three. Of course it was slow-moving. I switched. It worked out time-wise, but you'll never guess whose line I was in...

THE "HM IS 65-YEARS-OLD" CHECKER!

Seriously. I should have stayed in the young man's line. All he has ever done is told me he couldn't ring up Farmer H's Wild Turkey 101 because it would shut down all the registers in the store.

Anyhoo... where does this gal get off, proclaiming me 65 YEARS OLD for the second time? She's no spring chicken! She has a Beatles helmet of white hair herself. I don't think she likes me. Every time I get in line, she's talking about GETTING OFF.

"I only have one minute until I'm off!"

"Huh. I always seem to be here when you're just about to clock out."

"Yes."

"So you should actually feel HAPPY every time you see me, because it means you're done working." I did NOT add a "Heh, heh" after that comment.

Old Lady Checker agreed with me, and hollered at the gal waiting nearby, "I'm off in one minute!"

"I know. I'm just waiting for my drawer to be counted."

Surely it's just a coincidence that she's always leaving when I get in line...

6 comments:

River said...

Of course it's a coincidence. If she truly didn't like you, she would step away before you stepped up.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
She DID pointedly ignore me the last time she was counting the minutes until she was off. That's when the guy at the register behind her said he could help me. So maybe it's just a mere indifference, and not a raging abhorrence of my presence!

River said...

Ah, a clockwatcher. doesn't want to be staying back even five seconds after her time is up.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
After working at the state unemployment office, I definitely know that type!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

If she is old, maybe her back hurts as she is counting the minutes. Maybe she is just a cranky old person. Maybe she doesn't like anybody. Maybe she wishes you would come in earlier so she could leave earlier. Maybe she just hates her job. I know ALL of those feelings.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
She reminds me of a mean girl. If you're not in her crowd, she has no use for you. She's usually busy talking to acquaintances who are checking out. Nevermind that it backs up the line.