Monday, May 16, 2022

Darn Country Livin'

It's Sunday night, and The Pony and I are trying to observe a total eclipse of the Blood Moon. I've seen a total lunar eclipse before. It was spectacular, if that's what you call a dark spot where the moon should be. I DO consider it spectacular, with my science-teaching background and nerdy VALedictorianship.

You'd think I have a better view, what with The Pony being in town now, with the accompanying light pollution. But no. The Pony has been keeping me updated on the eclipse happenings, while I am unable to watch it!

Oh, the clouds from earlier are gone. I should be able to see the moon and the impending eclipse. Except for NATURE! The eclipse is happening so early in the night that the moon has not yet risen above the TREES! The Pony has no such problem. After all, his giant pecan tree is just a trunk now, laying in his yard, waiting for the wood-salvagers who have spoken for it to come with their saws.

According to The Pony, the orange glow which would have been starting around 8:45 was less than spectacular. I wouldn't know. I saw it during my LAST total lunar eclipse, and it was grand.

I'll keep watching. The TOTAL part is scheduled to occur at 11:11. Of course, how will I know if I see it? Since it will be the absence of seeing the moon's radiance. I'll be checking later as well. In case I can catch the moon reappearing out of the earth's shadow.

I love anticipating a good earth-sciency phenomenon, even if nature itself thwarts my viewing.

4 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Perhaps the Pony would like a visitor to watch with. You should have a sleepover! I was asleep.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I have a feeling The Pony went to sleep. But maybe not, since he was off the next day. I went out later, at half-hour intervals, and saw the magnificent sight from the side porch on the BARn side of the Mansion. I took some photos, but my phone is crap for that kind of shot.

The old gal cashier at Casey's brought it up today, and said she watched it with her 3-year-old grandson sitting on her lap. He asked, "Why did God hide the moon?" So she told him, "God likes to play hide-and-seek."

River said...

I tend to ignore eclipses these days after many years of standing out in the cold and seeing nothing. I just live in the wrong spot. I'd need a cabin on a mountain top.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Yeah, it depends on where you're viewing from. This one was just right for us. Well. If we didn't have trees...