Tuesday, May 10, 2022

Dogs, Cats, Chimps, And Even Magpies Can Do It...But Not Farmer H

Oh, Farmer H! Every day I learn that you know less.
 
Monday, I warmed up the Mother's Day BBQ pork steaks in the oven. A half for each of us. I opened FRIG II, and set out the potato salad and deviled eggs. I sliced an onion, and a dill pickle for Farmer H as he requested. I carried the remaining rolls from the kitchen table, and the butter dish. I put all this on the cutting block, along with a spoon for the potato salad. I uncovered the rolls, and opened the deviled egg container. I also set out a sharp knife, and a fork, for Farmer H. He was planning to eat in the living room.
 
ALL FARMER H HAD TO DO WAS FILL HIS PLATE AND GRAB A BEVERAGE.
 
It started out well enough. Farmer H said he'd use a paper plate, so took two of the sturdy kind from the kitchen counter. He forked the piece of pork steak that I had taken out of the oven and set on top of the stove. He moved his plate to the cutting block, and cut up his own meat. YAY, Farmer H!
 
I saw him adding his sides. But the next thing I knew, Farmer H had opened up the pantry door, and was gazing inside!
 
"Um. Is there something else you're looking for?"
 
"Yeah. A cup."
 
"What do you mean, a CUP?"
 
"To pour in my sparkling grape juice. A red cup."
 
"The SOLO CUPS?"
 
"Yeah."
 
"There's a whole pack right there on the floor of the pantry. But we still have some on the cutting block."
 
"I don't see none."
 
I moved the circle of foil that had been on the pan of rolls. It was leaning against a stack of red Solo cups that we have kept in the same place on the cutting block for over a year. Over TWO years. 

"Oh. I didn't know them was there."

Seriously. There's a concept called object permanence. Human infants understand it. As do dogs, cats, chimps, and magpies. If they see an object, then you cover it up, they KNOW that it's still there.

Farmer H is an entirely different kind of animal.

4 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I live with the same man! "Where did you put "fill in the blank"" Same place I put it when we moved in here! I get told that I am aways moving stuff. While that is true, there are some things that remain in the same place ALWAYS!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
They need a service dog to find everyday objects for them!

River said...

Did he think that circle of foil was leaning against fresh air? Even my kids know I always keep things in the exact same places, even when moving house the kitchen cabinets get filled exactly the same as they were in the old place.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I guess he thought that foil was defying gravity! The paper towel holder is on the corner of the cutting block, but the foil was obviously (to anyone besides Farmer H) too far away to be leaning against a roll of paper towels. Besides, the paper towel roll is taller than the foil, and could be seen way behind it.