Friday, May 27, 2022

They Know How To BRING A Package, But They Don't Know How To LEAVE A Package

I got an email on Wednesday that my package had been delivered. Yes. I was expecting a package. To be delivered by the USPS. I've ordered this item before, and it was delivered just fine. I did not anticipate any problems. The time was around 11:30 a.m. Farmer H stopped for the mail when he came home around 2:30.
 
"Huh. I guess you have a package. There weren't no key in the mailbox, but there was this note."
 
He handed me the orange notice that the USPS leaves for a package. Usually, it's a little postcard. This one was more like a piece of paper.
 
 
Yes, that's orange, even though it doesn't look like it on the kitchen table. You'll notice the interesting note left to explain why my package was not actually delivered. I have marked out my name and address and package-identifying numbers and symbols.

Farmer H was as puzzled as I was.

"NO KEYS, NO LOCKERS? What in the world does that mean?"

"I don't know. Maybe all four of the lockers were full? Earlier this week, there were no keys in the lockers. You know how they usually stay in there until someone gets a package, and then the key is put in their mailbox. Like Pony says, only the employees can get those keys out of the locker, once you turn the key and open it."

"It looked to me like all the keys were in the lockers now."

"Huh. Maybe everyone got their package out already. Or maybe the mailman didn't have the special key to get them loose."

I sent The Pony a picture of the note, and he, too, was baffled.

"Looks like you'll have to go pick up your package at the post office. Or fill out the back about a re-delivery, and put it in your mailbox. It might be at the Hillmomba Post Office, but I don't know."

"Every time I went there before, they told me it was at the main post office. I guess I'll try both."

Which takes us to tomorrow... because nothing is ever simple in Hillmomba.

5 comments:

River said...

Kind of the opposite problem here, one of my sons was homeless for a while and gave my address as his mailing address. I get letters in my mailbox, and I get packages all the time! because I am home and not way out in the country, the van pulls up right by my door. It's like Christmas every week. They're not for me of course, they are things he buys online for himself, things for his kids for birthdays and Christmas and even things for his mates which they pay him for but can't have delivered to their addresses because they get stolen off their front porches while they are at work.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

No keys, no lockers? Or maybe they were running late and it was easier to leave the notice? But wouldn't the time taken to fill out the notice be the same amount to put it in a lock box?

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
It's nice that you don't mind being the delivery destination. The Veteran used to have stuff shipped here, even when he was back living in the states. And now Back-Creek Neighbor Bev has had a couple things delivered to us. I don't like it one bit! I don't want to be responsible.

***
Kathy,
I don't get it, and neither does The Pony. Unless those lockers were all full with bigger packages that would have been harder to carry back to the post office.

River said...

I am getting a bit fed up because it means I can never go out and rummage through thrift stores. but winter is setting in now, so going out in the cold and wet voluntarily isn't an option.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
It DOES tie you down and take up your time! But if you're there anyway because of the weather, I guess it's not too bad.