Tuesday, May 24, 2022

Mrs. HM Dials Back Her Smugness

Oh, how the youthful have fallen!
 
I was in Country Mart the other day, in line at my favorite checker. He's the one who bags correctly, and had put down my age as 35 one day when I bought Farmer H's Wild Turkey 101. We had a cordial conversation. When I got back to T-Hoe, I checked my receipt to make sure my two 1-lb boxes of strawberries rang up at the sale price of $5, rather than the current $6.98 price of one 2-lb box of strawberries.

Well. My strawberry price was correct. However... my age was not even in the ballpark.

 
SWEET GUMMI MARY!!! I must have REALLY not looked my best that day!

I'm not sure he's still my favorite checker...

4 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Typo? He thought he was hitting 33? He was feeling mean?

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
He was perfectly polite to me, and not in a smarmy way. So I will assume it wasn't intentionally directed at ME! Maybe he put that in for everybody that day. It's easier to pick one number and stick with it. At Casey's, back when they were asking everyone for their AGE to buy scratchers, a checker told me she put in 35 for everybody, and then got in trouble from a manager who noticed that she was only selling tickets to 35-year-olds.

River said...

I think they just pick a random number for everyone and use it for that shift. Do they only verify age for scratchers and booze? Or for everyone no matter what they buy?

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I'm guessing each cashier might pick their own number for the day. That would be efficient, as long as they're not working for that Casey's manager!

They have to check age for booze and smokes, or the ATF (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms) will come down on them, and they can lose their license to sell those products. I imagine it's the same for lottery, which is highly regulated by the state gaming board or something. I don't know their name.

Alcohol is 21 or older.
Tobacco and Lottery are 18, I think.

The cashiers at the Gas Station Chicken Store have to check ID for anyone buying those products who looks younger than 35, they say. I hear them asking a lot when young guys want to buy Skoal or other smokeless tobacco.