Thursday, May 19, 2022

Texts I Haven't Written, Never Meaning To Send

Hello, Pony. Remember us? 
 
It's ME. Your mother who loves you like no other. 
 
And your former bedroom, still containing a myriad of accoutrements that surely you are having trouble doing without. 
 
And the kitchen pantry, where I stubbed my toe trying to reach a bottle of ketchup so thoughtfully arranged at the back of the shelf by your long arms when you reorganized for me.

We really miss you. It seems like only yesterday that you moved out, promising to text every day when you got home from work, and come out on your next day off, to get that bedroom sleep-in ready, and finish the job you started on the pantry.

We REALLY miss you.

Of course I would never send such a text, what with The Pony being such a lover of HELPING PEOPLE, a virtual Brother Teresa. I certainly wouldn't want to hurt his feelings. Or seem like a nag.

I truly miss my little Pony.

4 comments:

River said...

Just invite him for dinner and then start the conversation with "while you're here, could you please....."

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I can't compete with Steak n Shake! Nor do I serve steak very often. It is harder to lure a Pony than you might imagine.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Empty nest syndrome! I had it for just a bit until she started raiding my fridge and stealing my leftovers in my absence. You would think free food should require an in-person visit!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Once I got The Pony back in my nest after graduation during the Stay-At-Home-Down, I didn't want to let him go! If it was an actual nest, The Pony would have been wearing a safety harness attached to bungee cords!