Sunday, September 17, 2023

I Met My Old Country Mart Cashier By The Lottery Machines Last Week, She Seemed So Glad To See Me I Just Smiled...

Since the Hillmomba Country Mart shut down for remodeling, I have been shopping at the Sis-Town Country Mart once a week. I'm over there anyway on my errand day, for the bank and main post office. So it's not a hardship to get there. Just a hardship to shop there. I don't know the layout, and the hilly parking lot bothers me. Especially when I buy Farmer H's soda in mass quantities, and the cart wants to run away with me.

Anyhoo... last Thursday, I pushed in a cart/walker and made my first stop at the lottery machines. The Old Lady Cashier from the Hillmomba Country Mart came over to greet me. I've never seen her in there before, despite the store being closed since the end of July. She seemed really glad to see me. 

I mentioned how I didn't really like this store, but it DID seem to have more selections.

"Oh, I know! I can't figure out why our manager didn't keep our store stocked better. I am really enjoying working here, and I will miss this manager when I go back. There's supposed to be a grand opening on October 18th."

"I noticed a guy painting a big stripe on the outside of the building a couple weeks ago. I was wondering when it would reopen."

"Some of the gals are working there still, putting up shelves. The last I heard, the bathrooms were being re-done."

"I saw some Port-A-Potties on the parking lot."

"If you go look through the doors, you can probably see some of the progress they've made inside. I think they might have something on there about the re-opening."

"I can't wait to go there again. Even though I'm over here once a week, this store is just not convenient for me."

"It won't be too long now."

"I'm sure we'll meet again, whether here or there!"

Can't wait to get back into my routine. Even though there won't be a deli any more.

4 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I hate changes, the older I get, the more I find chamges to be inconvenient for my daily routine!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
The only good thing about my lack of local Country Mart is that I don't spend as much. I was in there about 3 times a week for bananas, and always saw something else I decided I must have. Now I get 8 bananas at a time, with my other trip to Save A Lot, which doesn't have such tempting treats.

River said...

I hate changes too, but once I get used to a new routine I really dislike going back to the old one. It's another change!

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Yes, I WILL have to get used to having no deli.