Thursday, September 7, 2023

It's Easier To Catch Jackpots With Courtesy Rather Than Impatience

If I'd been out catching flies on Tuesday, I would have come home with a bushel of them! That's because I know that the best bait is sugar, not vinegar. But I wasn't out catching flies. I was just making my rounds, putting a check from The Pony for Flip House expenses in the bank, and withdrawing Farmer H's cash money that he'd spent on the Flip House during August. Of course I took advantage of my travels to buy scratchers while outside of Hillmomba proper. It was a good day for that. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

The day before, I had been in the Liquor Store in Hillmomba. It was pretty busy, as you might imagine, it being Monday, and the Labor Day holiday. So lots of people were buying adult beverages, and their vapes. I was fourth in line. A lady came up beside me, holding a case of beer. When it was my turn, I motioned her ahead.

"Go ahead. I'm getting lottery. It might take a minute. I'm not holding anything."

She thanked me and went ahead. As she was paying for her beer, she asked for a scratcher.

"I never buy these."

"Heh, heh. I DO!"

The cashier/manager who is a former student of mine chuckled and agreed. "She DOES!"

"I just feel like getting one today." 

She asked for a $5 ticket that I was planning to buy. Normally, I hate that, and won't get one. But this one I wanted. It was the bright green 50X ticket. When it was my turn, I asked for it, and got the last one on the roll. Huh. Not what I would have chosen had I known.

Anyhoo... when I got home and scratched it, my ticket was a $15 winner. No, that's not a fortune. But by letting that beer lady go ahead of me, I got a winner. And for two days since then, I've had FANTASTIC LUCK!

On Tuesday, I won a total of $309! Which included $50 on a $5 crossword from the Sis-Town Casey's, and $200 on a $5 crossword from the School-Turn Casey's. There's the big one below. I had four words on the top puzzle, and four words on the bottom puzzle. And the 10X symbol amongst the letters given. They are played separately. So that was ten dollars on top, and ten dollars on bottom, each multiplied ten times.


On Wednesday, I won a total of $223! Which included $100 on a $10 ticket from the Gas Station Chicken Store, and $60 on a $3 crossword from the Liquor Store. 

I'm pretty sure my politeness has garnered me favor with Even Steven.

4 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

It paid off to be so nice to the lady and her beer! You never know when fortune will smile upon you. I am now wondering if the lady with the beer also won.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
She might have won a bigger jackpot! There are stories of big winners who first won their money back on a ticket, then went in and bought another one that turned out to be the jackpot. So it could work in reverse, too. I'd rather not have two consecutive tickets, except for my crossword version. They are fun to play, even if they lose. The lady with the beer was probably happy anyway, because... well... BEER! If she lost, she would just think: that's why I hardly ever buy a ticket.

River said...

That's a lot of luck! I hope it continues for you and I hope that b-double-e-double-r-u-n lady won too.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I hope she won, too. I like other people to win. The Pony had a $50 winner on a ticket I had bought him about a month ago. He was amazed that it was so old it still had my code for the Country Mart left machine marked on the back. It has been closed since the end of July. My luck has gone on for four days. I'm expecting it to end soon enough.