Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Hails Of My Bamboozlement Have Been Greatly Exaggerated

Farmer H has been foiled again! He might THINK he's smart, but I beg to differ. Actually, I don't beg. I shout it from the rooftops. Or in this case, my supersecret blog.
 
A few days ago we received our new proof of insurance cards in the mail. They're not actual cards, just little square slips of paper that prove we have automobile insurance from July to January. The old ones don't expire until mid-month, but as long as I had the new ones at hand, I parceled them out. There are two of each. One to keep in your purse or wallet, and the other to leave in the vehicle.  

I set T-Hoe's insurance cards aside for me to deal with. The Pony was out here for 4th-of-July steak, so I gave him the ones for his Rogue. And I put the cards for SilverRedO and A-Cad on the kitchen counter. Tuesday afternoon, I pointed them out to Farmer H, so he could gather them up for those two vehicles.

Farmer H said he was going to an auction Tuesday evening. It was SO HOT! 100 degrees. 95 inside the garage. Farmer H said it was even too hot to get in Poolio. So he was going to recline in his recliner, watching Gunsmoke, until time to go. Which he said would be 4:30.

I got a late start to town, having been busy with writing out checks for the insurance (they send the cards ahead of time, in a separate envelope), the monthly payment for SilverRedO, and the renewal for our AAA Membership. Heh, heh. It virtually pays for itself, considering how ONE TOW would cost more than the yearly membership, and Farmer H has already had TWO TOWS this year.

Anyhoo... I didn't leave until after 3:00.

"I think I'll be back before you leave, but I DO have several stops to make, plus going by the post office and taking these payments inside to mail them. So I might see you, but I might not."

Of course I was moving slower than molasses in January, what with the temperature being 100 degrees. Plus people are driving crazy in Hillmomba, due to roadwork in front of the Gas Station Chicken Store, and the lanes marked all wonky with only little tufts of tape sticking up through fresh blacktop. By the time I got back to the Mansion, it was 4:45.

I saw SilverRedO still parked under the carport. And when I entered the garage, A-Cad was still there. Inside, Farmer H said he was getting ready to leave. No mention of why he was 15 minutes behind. I bade him farewell, and went into the master bathroom to slip out of town clothes and into my lairwear. That's when I saw it.

On the bathroom counter was a single insurance card. For SilverRedO.

WAIT A MINUTE! If Farmer H was driving SilverRedO, why had he left one of the insurance cards behind? That didn't make sense. They should all be stacked there. Or none. Or maybe just one for A-Cad. Caught in the act!

I peeped out the front door, and saw SilverRedO STILL parked under the carport. Normally, I'd have no need to be looking out the front door. But now I was in spy mode.

Farmer H was driving A-Cad, and thus putting gas in A-Cad and paying with the credit card, rather than using his weekly allowance money allotted for such expenditures. He thinks he's a sly one, but he's no Mr. Grinch. At least not in the brains department.

When Farmer H got home, I told him he'd need to be sneakier than that to fool me. Of course he came up with a story that he had stuff in the back of SilverRedO that he couldn't leave unattended on the parking lot at the auction.

I guess he won't be bragging to his cronies about how he fooled me. And I'll be watching for the credit card statement, to shake him down for the gas money!

3 comments:

River said...

He's going to have to get much sharper to be fooling you. Maybe the heat has melted his brain a little?

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Sneaky! Another trait I am not fond of!!

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
You'd think he would have learned by now that he can't outsmart me! He DOES spend too much time in the pool, with his brain marinating in the heat. Even a cap doesn't keep his noggin cool in the sun.

***
Kathy,
Yeah. Just OWN IT! Then I'll shut up, and it's over. When he's devious, I go on and on!