Sunday, July 3, 2022

Is There Such A Thing As DogNip?

My fleabags went crazy on Saturday afternoon. They were perfectly normal when I left, but upon return, it was as if they were possessed by a shenaniganous entity!

Good thing I had nothing to carry in except my purse, which was looped over my right arm. I greeted my Sweet, Sweet Juno as she pranced around on the side porch, and started up the four steps, holding onto the rail with my left hand. I had seen Jack darting around the back yard, as he does every time I come home, chasing the squirrels that scatter as I come down the driveway. He always appears on the porch by the time I get inside and grab a treat.

WHOOPSIE! 
 
I almost face-planted from the third step! That dastardly Jack had gallumped up those steps, tromping on the back of my right heel! He's NEVER done that before! He's good at weaseling himself through small spaces, even with his expanding girth. Of course I hollered at him, but he grinned like I was bluffing.

Once inside the kitchen, I grabbed a small beanbag-size cellophane bag of chewy meaty kibble that Back-Creek Neighbor Bev had given Farmer H for our dogs. I've been treating them out of it for several days, and it's still half full. They only need five or six of these chewy kibble apiece. It's a big hit.

Jack is pretty good at waiting his turn. Juno always darts into her house when I go inside, and forces me to put her treats in her lair. Not an easy feat when her floor is strewn with cedar shavings, antlers, dried bones, and indistinguishable detritus. Sometimes I have to serve her on a paper plate. I don't want her eating that junk. With the kibble, I've been reaching in to deposit her pieces on a wooden ledge beside the door.

This time, Juno came out of her house. I suppose she thought Jack was getting more, although in fact, she was getting a larger portion, because she's a larger dog.

"Here, Juno! Go in! Go in your house!"

Juno stayed between me and Jack, watching me reach in to deposit her kibble.

THUNK! 
 
That's the sound of my right arm being jammed against the top edge of Juno's dog house door, as she barrelled inside to get at the kibble. She NEVER does that!

At least Gentleman Jack cheerfully waited his turn. Still smiling.

I asked Farmer H if he'd been serving them crack! He denied it. Said only the dry food.

There's not even a full moon. Maybe the sound of fireworks has them on edge.

8 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Who knows what gets into dogs? Radar sometimes acts in a crazy way, but we just blame that on his perpetual puppyhood.

Have a great 4th.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
At least dogs aren't like cats, who suddenly decide they must be somewhere else IMMEDIATELY, and tear out of the room, maybe or maybe not running sideways along a wall.

You also have a good 4th. I decree it. Like a judge might decree that you be my butler, if we were in a fender-bender, your fault, and you couldn't pay me...

River said...

I'd be studying the ingredients on the kibble bag to see what's different. Clearly the dogs are crazy about it.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
That's the problem. I don't have the outer bag. Just the beanbag size cellophane bags, like an individual serving for a large dog. They are brown kibble bits, moist. Different from our dogs' multicolored kibble, which they loved well enough when Farmer H switched from the all brown dry kind.

River said...

Find out what they are, buy some and read the ingredients.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I guess Farmer H could ask Bev what kind it is. It works great for treats, but I'm afraid our dogs would be very fat if Farmer H fed them this food. He gives portions that are too big. Jack eats it anyway, but Juno leaves some, and that attracts those pesky squirrels. You'd think Jack wouldn't be getting so portly, what with chasing the squirrels off the porch when I come down the driveway.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

My canines can be greedy about treats. Bo is always ready to pop up out of nowhere to grab an additional treat meant for Cujo or Eddie. He is not brave enough to grab Toni's. A good thump on nis nose will calm him down, then Toni tries to steal. Vicious cycle. The dogsrarely trip me. It is Martha who does that deed, winding in and out of my legs.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
When I holler at Juno, she is remorseful. Still, she does the same thing again! A nose-tap would devastate her. Then again, it might stop her from stealing! Jack usually wends his way through an available opening without tripping. Maybe it's because he's grown more portly, and doesn't fit!