Saturday, July 2, 2022

Not Somewhere I'd Want To Hang Out

The fireworks stand at Country Mart does not seem to be doing a booming business. Heh, heh! Get it? I said "booming," and it's a fireworks stand! I crack myself up sometimes.

Of course, you wouldn't WANT that stand to be booming, because that would mean your inventory just went up in smoke. Heh, heh! Get it? Because fireworks give off smoke when they explode! Oh, my sides! I am so funny to myself.

 
Not a good picture out T-Hoe's window. Not a good fireworks stand, either. Big enough, but not considered big compared to the place we used to buy our fireworks when the boys were tweens. No fireworks for us this year. The Pony is coming out for steak-grilling, but no incendiary celebration.

It was 100 degrees when I took this picture! Imagine how hot it was under the medium-top! You know how heat gets trapped under a tent like that. There was no breeze, either. Just humidity. Which I suppose bode well for the fireworks not spontaneously combusting.

I haven't noticed many people there buying fireworks. Maybe they come at a different time than late afternoon. I don't know if you can see it in the picture, but there's a sign behind that truck that says:

NO DISCHARGE OF FIREWORKS WITHIN 300 FEET

That's 100 yards. I still think that would be too close! Good thing most people who'd buy fireworks would not waste their money by setting them off on a grocery store parking lot.

6 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Fireworks has never been my thing. Buying something so you can burn it up/explode it is--for me--a case of literally setting money on fire.

Also, people in my family (in-laws) have done really stupid things on July 4th. (Oh, that bottle rocket did not go off. I'll walk over to it so I can see what went wrong.) Luckily, nobody ever got hurt.)

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I would rather burn my money on scratchers!

Farmer H did the same thing with a "parachute" when he was 14, and lost the sight in his left eye. He was extremely safety-conscious with the older boys, and the latter two, in letting them set off fireworks while supervised, during the 10-14 ages. He and Genius would design our display for the grandmas, shooting them off in the driveway while we sat on the carport. The Pony held an umbrella over my head, because I was paranoid after the stick of a bottle rocket almost landed on me!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Not a big fan myself. My parents were not the type to celebrate Independence Day, considering it a minor holiday along with Memorial day. Christmas was big, Thanksgiving, too. New Years Eve fell in with those minor holidays. Until they were old with no children at home. Then my Mother took great pleasure in making prank phone calls to my Dad's great disgust. He kept telling her they were going to catch her and lock her up. Never happened, but would have been really funny!
HeWho did fireworks show every year at the kampground, with just 2 exceptions, one year it was so hot and dry and still 90 degrees when the sun set. The other years was 2020. I would carefully hide as much money as I could, lest he spend it all on fireworks. Took it ut of the safe and tucked it into the fridge. Freezer was not good because ice cream is there, but unless I put it on the top shelf of the fridge I knew he would never find it. He is not one to peruse leftovers.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
You could wrap that cold cash in wrinkled foil, and shove it to the back of a lower shelf in the fridge. I think it would be pretty safe!

River said...

I used to love the pretty fireworks, like rockets and catherine wheels and fountains. My brother preferred the bangers, the bigger the better in his opinion.
Years later when fireworks were banned, displays were put on by various organisations and there was a fee to go see them, so people would climb onto their roofs instead and see them that way.
I remember one year at an Army camp base, for soldiers and families only, we went to see the display, someone clever had made frames in the shapes of Australian animals, Australia itself and assorted other designs, all lined up and wired together, so the first was lit and the frame fizzed and sparkled in whatever shape it was (kangaroo I think) then the colour changed as the next frame lit up, and so on, about twelve in all, around in a semi circle, then the open centre was lit and dozens of rockets and fountains shot colours into the air. I've never seen anything like it since.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Your display sounds amazing! I like the colorful bursts that shoot out, high in the sky. The boys always liked the parachutes, which are really for daytime, so you can watch the little man come down and find him. They also enjoyed the hands-on stuff, like the "snakes," which were just pellets that burned into a long ash. I think they might be banned now, not sure why. And they liked the little paper bundles (smaller than a dime) that you slam down on concrete and they make a bang.