Friday, March 17, 2023

I Can't Do Them Justice

Thursday, I bought some new stamps. I use the plain flag version on bills, but I like to brighten up Genius's weekly letters with a colorful stamp. Sweet Gummi Mary! This new selection is beautiful! My phone camera cannot do them justice!


This collection is called the Mighty Mississippi. Larger versions of each scene would be suitable for framing! Along the side of each stamp is the state the scene is from. I had to use a magnifying glass to read them, but when I flipped over the sheet, there's a map on the back showing them in order:


These stamps came on a sheet of 10. So I bought two, to get my regular quota of 20 stamps per book. They were the same price as normal stamps.

My favorite of the group is Kentucky. I'm a sucker for a sunset. Or sunrise. Not sure what this is. Of course my second favorite has to be Missouri, showing the St. Louis Arch. Anybody who's ever been to St. Louis knows this picture was taken from the Illinois bank of the Mississippi, which is the best vantage point to show the Arch on the St. Louis riverfront.

I'm pleased with them. Genius will probably throw the envelope away without even noticing...

5 comments:

Rae said...

Back in the golden, olden days, my dad collected stamps. Used to get the first edition on a card when they came out. He still likes to buy "special" stamps to use for his bills and cards, alike. He thinks it might cheer up some poor worker when they open his payment up, so does not want to begrudge them a smile, if possible. The value of his huge stamp collection today - pretty much nothing. But, the way I see it, it brought him several years of joy before he stopped collecting. These stamps are really lovely and it's nice to pay extra attention to the great and mighty Mississippi, as it has garnered a lot of "other" attention recently. I agree on the sunset. That would be my favorite also. Ranee

Hillbilly Mom said...

Rae,
Oh no! Now I feel bad about depriving a worker of a special stamp! My grandma worked at the post office in her later years, and had a stamp collection. She used to show it to my boys. I think my uncle ended up with it. The last stamps I had for Genius's letters were the muscle cars. Not sure if Genius appreciated them as much as Farmer H.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

My Dad collected stamps and coins. He also loved model ships and would put them together and display them. Before Mother died, they didn't have much to do with my three youngest children since Mother hated my husband passionately. My sister's boys were Mother's favorite and when Daddy broke down housekeeping, my nephews got all of those momentos. After he died, my step-mom could not bear to part with anything. I got pictures, that was all I wanted. I have pictures of Daddy as a very young man. He joined the Navy at 17. This is when my sister and I both realized just how much my son looks like Daddy. I can still hear my mother looking in the nusery window at my newborn twins and saying, "That one looks like its Daddy, I don't like her. The other one is okay, I guess." This sort of sums up why a relationship with her was so difficult. I often wonder how mad she would be that Jeff turned out looking so much like Daddy!

River said...

I love them, they're all beautiful. I wish we had similar out here, but we only ever get the same old thing and if you buy a sheet of stamps they are all the same. Australia Post has no imagination at all. They just continue to raise the price of postage so people send far fewer letters and branches everywhere get shut down because "people don't use them" DUH!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
That was certainly an unfortunate observation upon the first meeting! And explains a lot. I'm glad you got the pictures. Nobody can take away your memories.

***
River,
They certainly are "breathtaking," to borrow a phrase from Seinfeld, which you don't watch! Prices keep going up here, too. I don't know the current rate, but if you want to do the math, two sets of 20 stamps cost a total of $25.20. However, I can't begrudge The Pony his salary...