Friday, March 31, 2023

If Mrs. HM Is There, A Weirdo Is Sure To Appear

As I was preparing to pump T-Hoe's gas on Thursday at the Sis-Town Casey's, a weirdo came out of nowhere to speak to me. Actually, she came out of the store, and walked up to her car parked on the opposite side of my pump. She was a frazzled lady with wavy brown hair, in a red sweatshirt and jeans.

"I feel like such an idiot. I paid for $1 worth of gas with my card."

Okay... what was I supposed to say? "Why yes, you ARE certainly an idiot." Or not. Was a response required? Nobody else was near us. I tried to be polite. Though wondering if she was only buying $1 of gas, which was $3.09 per gallon, or if she ran out of cash and needed another dollar.

"Well, a couple weeks ago, I went in to pre-pay, and the guy told me I might want to move to another pump, because the nozzle was gone on mine!"

"Oh. My son-in-law sent me to get gas, but he didn't give me any money!" 

She got a red plastic gas can with a yellow spout out of her car, and started taking off the cap. I suppose maybe the son-in-law was going to mow grass. Or had run out of gas somewhere in his vehicle. 

"Well. I guess maybe it's just one of those days..."

"I went to school to pick up my granddaughter because she was sick. I stopped and bought her a Sprite. And when I opened it, the soda sprayed all over my car."

"Oh, no. I hope she feels better..."

Then I got in T-Hoe and left. Before more tales of woe were forthcoming.

2 comments:

River said...

I do hope her day got much better after talking to a sympathetic ear.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
The sympathetic ear. Just one more service Mrs. HM provides. Within reason, of course. Can't lend them my ear for unlimited sympathy, but in small doses, I'm their gal.