Sunday, June 13, 2021

If There IS Such A Thing As Bad Pizza

Farmer H picked up Casey's pizza on Friday night. They have a special this month: buy one, get one half off. We really like their pizza, but it's kind of pricey. Of course there's a couple pounds of cheese on it, and they don't skimp on toppings, and the crust is tasty. So it's an investment we're willing to make.
 
Usually, we just get a one-topping pizza. But with this special, and The Pony declaring he didn't really want any, we went all out. Farmer H got himself the MEAT version. All meats. He got me the SUPREME. I usually can't have it, because Farmer H doesn't like green peppers. And he can't get the MEAT, because I don't like pepperoni. But he will tell them to leave it off my SUPREME.
 
Anyhoo... Farmer H ordered the pizzas Friday morning, before he went to his Storage Unit Store. He said he'd pick them up at 5:00. But when he got to Casey's, they didn't have our pizzas. The guy who took the order had written them down for pickup at 5:45. Because, you know, it's too much to expect anybody to perform such a task correctly.
 
Anyhoo... Farmer H came home with the pizzas. He hollered down to my lair. I was finishing up losing all my lives at Candy Crush, and then I went upstairs. Farmer H was in his recliner, done eating.
 
"That is the worst pizza I ever got from Casey's!"
 
"Oh, no! What's wrong with it?"
 
"Yours might be okay. But mine was almost raw on the bottom. It's like they didn't cook it long enough. I couldn't even pick it up to eat it. I had to use a fork!"
 
We are NOT floppy-pizza people. None of that New York folding for us! We like a sturdy pizza that holds its shape, to eat with one hand. Not have to support the triangle tip with the other hand.
 
"Well, I hope they left the pepperoni off mine!"
 
"They didn't. But I picked it off."
 
"How did you do THAT? Casey's always puts the meat under the cheese. Next to the crust. That's why I have such a hard time with pepperoni. I can't just pick it off, like on other pizzas."
 
"Well, they put it on top. The rest is under the cheese. I picked it off and ate it."
 
"Great. I'll still have all the greasy pepperoni juice. I hate that. Pepperoni is too spicy."
 
Anyhoo... when I looked at MY pizza, it didn't look too bad. But when The Pony came home and was sniffing around, I offered him a piece."
 
"You can have some of Dad's MEAT pizza. He says it's the worst one he ever got from Casey's. Or you are welcome to have some of mine, but I know you don't like anything but cheese on yours."

"Well. I think I'll just have this piece right here..."

The Pony took the first slice out of my SUPREME. A thin slice. Casey's is not very consistent in their slice sizes. One might be three times the size of another. In picking it up, the bottom crust sagged down, and the toppings (middlings?) slid out. Mostly.

"Ooh. Maybe you should have used two hands."

"No. This is actually better. Here. Give me a spoon."

The Pony flipped the cheese part over, and used the spoon to scrape the sausage, onion, green pepper, and whatever else was there onto the top of the next piece of pizza. The black olives were embedded in the cheese.

"Now I can have my cheese and crust, and you can have double stuff on top!"

Anyhoo... my bottom crust was also kind of undone. The Pony likes a doughy crust, but I prefer mine to be actually baked. Oh, it didn't keep me from eating it! We'll be having pizza for a few days. Here's a picture of Farmer H's MEAT pizza:

 
Can you even SEE a bottom crust? It doesn't look very appetizing on the cardboard box soaked with MEAT juices. But the taste was fine, according to Farmer H.

Here's my SUPREME:

 
A little more crustage is evident. And not so much grease.

Anyhoo... my point (and I do have one) is that once again, you can't trust any employee to do a job RIGHT, much less WELL.

Farmer H needs to lay off the shed-building, and get my proposed handbasket factory up and running. Also, I'm a little bit suspicious of why the pepperoni was on TOP of my pizza that was supposed to be without pepperoni. It wasn't on top of Farmer H's MEAT pizza. I have a theory that Farmer H TOLD them to put the pepperoni on top. Not only does he like pepperoni, but he's a miser. When he'd order our Subway sandwiches, when I wanted NO CHEESE, he'd say, "Put the cheese from that one on MY sandwich." And they did!

4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

I can see Farmer H's point (but don't tell him that). When I order just a cheese pizza, I usually ask for extra cheese (if plain cheese pizzas aren't cheaper than the other pizzas) because I am paying for a one-topping pizza--and ALL the pizzas come with cheese on them.

Yes, I think Farmer H asked for the pepperoni to be put on top of yours. Thanks goodness there was no evidence of him digging around under the cheesy top surface--like a mole--looking for the pepperoni slices.

And is there such a thing as bad pizza? I think pizzas are not created equal--some are better than others--but I think every pizza has something redeeming about it.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I agree. Even a bad pizza is still A PIZZA! When The Pony gets a Casey's cheese pizza, they DO put extra cheese on it. Hard to believe, it's already so cheesy.

I can understand Farmer H asking Subway for the cheese, but I'm surprised they do it. I guess the pepperoni is the same tactic, except I SPECIFICALLY TELL HIM NOT TO GET PEPPERONI! He could at least have asked to have it put on HIS OWN pizza. I got one bite that had pepperoni on it. My mouth is still burning. Too spicy for me.

Heh, heh! Digging around like a mole! He'd better not. I was pretty good at WHACK A MOLE at Chuck E Cheese.

River said...

I remember not liking pepperoni, but these days I do eat it, but don't have pizza often enough. I was happy recently to eat dessert pizza at a friend's place, home made dough, rolled thin, spread with strawberry jam, sliced strawberries and clumps of mascarpone cheese, then baked, just long enough to bake the crust. Yummy. This was after the 'dinner' pizzas had been made, baked and eaten with everybody sharing.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
That dessert pizza sounds good. I was somewhere that had dessert pizza, but I didn't try it. I think it was at a pizza buffet!