Monday, June 14, 2021

Someone's In The Kitchen With Pony, Someone's In The Kitchen I Know-O-O-O, Someone's In The Kitchen With Pony, Not-Bringing-Up A Rumpushole!

The Pony was in the kitchen preparing his daily meal when I returned home from town on Saturday. I'd bought some tender little tortillas, the 4.5 inch street taco size. He was stir-frying some frozen fajita chicken.

"Oh, I thought you'd microwave that, so you could cut it into cubes."

"I don't have to. I cut it in the pan."

"That's my non-stick pan!"

"Not with a knife. I just jab it with the side of the metal spatula."

"As if the Teflon knows the difference..."

"I'm mixing up my sauce in one of your ramekins."

"That's what they're for. Am I going to have a respiratory attack again from the chile oil?"

"Maybe?"

"I can really smell it, but my eyes aren't watering this time."

"Mmm...look at my chicken. Doesn't it look good?"

"I don't want that pan under my face! Put it back! It DOES smell good. Here. I might as well wash up YOUR CEREAL BOWL from yesterday morning, that's been living in the sink. Dad says that HE eats his cereal in a disposable bowl, and why can't you?"

"I don't know. I like a real bowl."

"I know that you're in a hurry to go to work, but it would take 15 seconds to rinse out your bowl. That's all it needs. You JUST ate out of it. Rinsing will clean it."

"Well, there was a ring of cinnamon around the edge."

"Again. Hold it under running water, and wipe your finger around the edge. It's CLEAN!"

"Meh."

"As long as I'm washing your dish, and all the silverware you and Dad go through in a day, I might as well do that pan now, too. Instead of you leaving it in the sink."

"I wash my pan."

"Well. Yes. ONLY  your pan. But I'll do it. I've got the water ready. I'll leave it so you can wash your ramekin after you're done eating the sauce."

"Yeah. I'll wipe out what's left, and put it in the water."

"And wash it."

"I said I'll put it in the water!"

"I know. And WASH it."

"Huh."

"YOU'RE the one using it. I AM leaving you the sudsy water. It will take 15 seconds with the sponge."

"Hmm."

Seriously? Am I a maid? I had done everything for The Pony except stand behind him and hold his hands in mine (but not in a Demi Moore/Patrick Swayze inappropriate way like the movie GHOST) and help him wash the ramekin.

He wasn't even being a smart-rumpus about it. He seemed to think he was entitled to my servantdom. The Pony has a little too much of Farmer H in him sometimes.

5 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

The Pony IS entitled to your services as a maid, cook, etc. until he moves out.

Perhaps he'll never move out? Perhaps the love he feels from you and Farmer H, a love that surrounds him like a cocoon, is so precious, he never wants to be far from it.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

River said...

When The Pony eventually moves out into his own place he will soon learn to either wash up right after eating, or use disposables. I'd prefer him to learn to wash up, then he'll know better all the things you did for him and his future wife will be grateful that he knows how.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Be careful what you keep your fingers crossed for, Madam! Maybe The Pony will ask for a transfer to the city, and knock on your door for a room to rent...

I let it slip in a comment on my not-so-secret blog that The Pony is trying to worm his way out of his cocoon. No matter how much plastic wrap and duct tape I apply, I still can't repair the breach in the cocoon.

***
River,
I'm a betting woman, and I would bet on disposables. To be fair, he DOES have limited time during the week. Today he worked 10.5 hours. Left home at 8:05 a.m., returned at 8:30 p.m. Burger King furnished his dishes tonight. He was so sweaty (97 degrees today), he didn't even go inside, although the dining area re-opened a couple weeks ago.

We are hoping he will be able to "capture" a wife! Heh, heh! That's what a former student asked about a faculty member who got married one summer. "Who could HE possibly capture?"

River said...

I don't agree with Sioux, adult children should NOT be waited on hand and foot, they should be doing their fair share of whatever needs doing to keep a household running. how else will they learn? How will they manage when they are in their first home and find out that dishes don't magically clean themselves? Cupboards don't magically replenish? Sheets don't put themselves in the washing machine.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I think Sioux was having a bit of fun at my expense...

The Pony does my Devil's Playground shopping (ever since he moved home), so that's worth a lot to me. And until he started WORKING for a living, he'd trot out to carry in groceries any time I shopped at Country Mart or Save A Lot. Plus the the dumpster-dragging to the end of the driveway and back, and cleaning the big triangle tub with vinegar. He does his own laundry. So there's that.

I am insulted that he will wash HIS PAN, but ignore the other dishes beside the sink! The attitude about putting the ramekin in the sink for ME to wash made me think of how Genius operated around here.