Saturday, June 26, 2021

No Cottonmouth Chicken Salad For Mrs. HM

Remember the chicken salad sandwich I last had from Country Mart? The one so dry that using the term "salad" should have been grounds for a lawsuit due to violation of the Truth In Deli Product Nomenclature Law? Not that there is such a law, but I WISH!

Anyhoo... I made my own chicken salad at home. It was moist.

 
Of course, Country Mart still made a profit off of Mrs. HM. I bought some of their croissants. MY chicken salad was made with canned white meat chicken, because that's what I had on hand. It would be better with the boneless skinless chicken breasts cut up or shredded, but that's a project for another time, when I am ready to invest more effort. Also in my chicken salad is mayo, a dash of sugar ( I suspect Country Mart makes theirs with Miracle Whip), and some diced dill pickle. Country Mart uses celery, of which I am not a fan.

On the side, I had those delicious red grapes. I didn't cut them up into the chicken salad, because I like the pop of the grapes as I bite into them. My chicken salad lasted for four days' lunches, because I planned it that way to use all four croissants.

Yes. I would make mine again.

3 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

It looks real and it looks spectacular...

I would gladly fall into that chicken salad sandwich with both hands...

River said...

Sugar? You put sugar in mayo?? Chicken salad is supposed to be savoury not sweet. But you get one star for making it yourself.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Don't expect me to loan you Grandma Mimma's napkins to wipe your hands! Stray dogs might follow you home.


***
River,
I will take my one star, and hone the edges to fine points, lest someone DARE plan to review any further culinary efforts!

This is the FIRST TIME I ever put sugar in mayo. That's because I was trying to recreate the Country Mart chicken salad, which is tasty, except for being too dry the last couple times. It has a sweet taste, as if they used Miracle Whip instead of regular mayo. Not like a dessert! A regular savory chicken salad, but with a hint of sweetness.

I abhor Miracle Whip. My mom used to mix a certain holiday salad with it, and I'd complained so much that she would set aside an individual bowl of it for me to mix mayo into, rather than having the sweet Miracle Whip. She also had a squeeze bottle of Kraft Mayo to put on the table, so I could use it for my turkey sandwiches, rather than the jar of Miracle Whip used by others. She was a gem, my mom. I didn't deserve her!