Wednesday, June 16, 2021

Yesterday's Chicken Salad Sandwich

This is not a code word for something. A euphemism. I am literally talking about yesterday's Chicken Salad Sandwich. Lest you think I might be exaggerating, I have decided to provide you with photographic evidence. Pics or it didn't happen, as Genius is so wont to decree.

Of course I can't show you a picture of yesterday's Chicken Salad Sandwich. It is currently undergoing the process of digestion. But I DO have a picture of its deli-case mate. They have the same packaging date and expiration date. 

Here is the packaging of my new was-favorite lunch. Lupper. Eaten between the normal hours of lunch and supper.

 
It's all fogged-up, having traveled from FRIG II to my lair. It is 2 croissants with chicken salad, on a bed of romaine lettuce leaves. I started to eat the lettuce one day, but saw DIRT on the leaf! I wiped off the bottom of my croissant thoroughly. What else would you have me do? I'm not a raccoon, ready to scrub it in a creek!

The label says Chicken Salad On Croissant 580 Calories. The label is from the chain that took over Country Mart, but it will always be Country Mart to me.

I've opened up my tasty "sammich," as Farmer H says, to show you what I was talking about.

 
That is the driest Chicken Salad I've ever seen! It's like random pieces of chicken, on a croissant, with a tiny bit of chopped celery, and an afterthought of mayo. There are two of the purple grapes that came in the container. The red grapes are ones I bought at Save A Lot. They're delicious! So crisp and snappy when you bite into them.

I'm sure you would agree that this "Chicken Salad" is a travesty! Though let the record show that I ate every crumb...

Here is something quite disturbing that I only noticed on yesterday's Chicken Salad Sandwich. Can you see what I saw? It involves the packaging. Take a guess. I will reveal the facts in the paragraph after the paragraph below the picture:

 
Just your standard deli container. Plastic. Snap open and shut. A clear top to see what's inside. A label with a bar code listing the ingredients and the expiration date. Do you have an idea?

Give up? Or awaiting your VALidation? You may think that the label doesn't show the dates. Oh, it DOES. But you have to flip the package upside down to see that part. As the cashier has to flip it upside down to scan it. I don't particularly like having my sandwich flipped upside down. But THAT'S NOT THE PROBLEM. It's A problem. Nope. The most disturbing thing about the package is:

NOTHING SEALS IT SHUT!

The side that opens does NOT have a label to keep people from flipping the lid and TAMPERING with the sandwich! The label is on the wrong side. A hundred people could have picked up my sandwich, and fondled it, licked it, sneezed on it, poisoned it, or rubbed their rumpus on it!!!

I did not notice this fact until I was done eating the first sandwich. When I went upstairs, I looked at the second one, and the label was the same. Of course I didn't drive it back to town for a refund. You know me! 

However... if the labels are like this next time, I'm going to bring it to the attention of the deli worker, or the service desk. Not that they'll do anything about it. They might slap on another label after the fact. But maybe they'll pay attention to it next time.

4 comments:

River said...

I couldn't see the problem until you pointed it out, but then you didn't notice it until after you had eaten the first sandwich either. If you had you may not have bought them. I know I wouldn't. I think you should draw the attention of this to the deli manager and sooner rather than later. Not being properly sealed means it could pop open and spill everywhere if you are the type to just toss things into your trolley.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Good thing I DON'T toss things all willy-nilly into my trolley! Which I prefer to call my cart/walker. All I noticed was that I had to hold the container above my head in the store, trying to see the expiration date. I didn't want to turn it upside down.

THEN, when I went to open it at home, something seemed amiss, because I didn't have to rip through the label to get it open. Of course, in my feeding frenzy, it didn't dawn on my what the exact problem was. Not until I was putting my grape stems in there after eating, and noticed the open side and the label side.

Sioux Roslawski said...

There was an afterthought of mayo? Where? I didn't see any evidence of mayonnaise.

They could call that a "roasted chicken" sandwich.

Maybe someone opened both of those containers and licked every bit of mayo from every piece of chicken...

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
You can see the afterthought of mayo if you peer intently at the open top of the croissant. It's like La Croix (Genius's favorite drink, next to alcohol) has an afterthought of fruit flavor. Don't strain your eyes. I will NOT be responsible for a sprained pupil!

I bet that's it! Somebody licked away my mayo! I deserve a discount. On a perhaps related matter... the county health department is seeing an uptick of hepatitis A.