Thursday, June 3, 2021

It Ain't Exactly Money For Nothin', But It's Close

The Pony worked nine hours on Wednesday. You might think he came home exhausted. You'd think wrong. He came home FLABBERGASTED. 
 
"At least TWO of those hours, all I did was drive!"
 
"Well. That happens. I wouldn't be complaining."
 
"I'm not complaining! I just can't believe it. I thought it was bad the other day when I made two trips from Sis-Town to Hillmomba. And that's only about 10 or 15 minutes. But hey, if they want to pay me to drive, that's okay. Even though I never know when I might break down."
 
"Where did you drive today?"
 
"Way down to the town where I had the driver's training on the LLV. It's about an hour round trip. I rode down with MAW (middle-aged woman) to pick up a van. Not the fancy van, but the American-made van."
 
"Did you drive the van back, or did she?"
 
"Um, I did, because we drove down there in her car! I don't know if we're just borrowing the van. I hope we get to keep it!"
 
"So then did you get to drive it the rest of the day?"
 
"No. I got sent over to Bill-Paying Town, to help MAW deliver her packages. The vehicle I had was left-hand drive, so no good for streetside delivery. The part I did was supposed to take 30 minutes, but it took me over an hour. It was apartments, and the boxes were stuck. Then I had a package that was postage-due, so I had to take it to the door, and get money from the person or take it back to the office. They owed $19.60,  and I didn't have change, so I had to write them out a thing. I actually drove four different vehicles today: two right-hand drive, and two left-hand drive."

Such is the life of a Pony-of-burden. His pay week started Saturday, when he worked 11 hours. Then he was paid for 8 hours for Monday's holiday. And 10 hours Tuesday, 9 hours Wednesday. He was scheduled off for Thursday, but got penciled in. When he sent me that text, I thought he said he got PENICILLIN! 

Looks like The Pony is headed for some overtime, or some time off. And hopefully NOT penicillin.

5 comments:

River said...

He must be doing well for him to be pencilled in on his off day. They wouldn't choose a slacker as a substitute option.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I have a new worker here an he is just so-so. I have a lot of projects that seem to be half way done and holding. My worker stepped on a nail and had to get a tetanus shot and now he wants to wait until his foot heals. You might recall that I once ran over a screw left in my yard and it shot into my leg. Soon as HeWho yanked it out with the needle nose pliers, I finished mowing! Hewho is mostly worthless these days. He rides the mower and tinkers with the chlorine generator in the pool house. The really labor intensive work is accomplished by me and Craig, my best worker. Craig and I are old, we call the new guy "the kid". How is it than I have more stamina than a kid half my age!! I don't pay overtime. The kid is so far behind in rent he would never catch up and would be homeless if not for me allowing him to work it off. Craig gets paid and free rent. He is a work horse and will not allow me to add to his "salary". Wow, i must need to vent!! Good for the Pony!

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
They may not have much to choose from! The Pony is slow because he's inexperienced, but at least he is dependable and not a back-talker. And doesn't walk off the job and quit, like the guy who started after he did.

***
Kathy,
Yikes! That screw incident almost gave me nightmares. Farmer H is striving to be useless, and pretty much succeeding. All he wants to do around here is build more themed sheds. At least he stays out of the Mansion.

I'm glad you have Craig. The new guy will milk that foot-nail as long as he can get away with it. I'm guessing that won't be long, heh, heh!

Sioux Roslawski said...

Some jobs--like the Pony's--has its perks. Driving around for most of a shift. I know others who have a cushy job--a short shift in reality (but "officially" a long shift) of relatively easy work. And then there's teaching. Long hours. Low pay.

Oh well. It's still the best job in the world, in my opinion.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
That's why you are well-SIOUXted for teaching!