Tuesday, June 1, 2021

A Blizzard Too Pure, Like The Driven Snow

We didn't go anywhere or do anything on Monday. Except for my 44 oz Diet-Coke-procuring mission to town. Nobody parked too close to T-Hoe, and nobody butted in front of me in line. So the trip was a success. Almost. 

I stopped by Dairy Queen for a small Brownie Batter Blizzard. I should have made it a mini, but I was treating myself to a small for no particular reason. Unless you count making potato salad and baked beans for the BBQ as a reason to reward oneself.

With leftovers for supper, I wasn't having lunch. The Blizzard was going to tide me over. I get up too late for breakfast! Last week I tried the Brownie Batter Blizzard, and it was delicious! By Dairy Queen kind-of-ice-cream standards. Chocolatey and filled with tiny cubes of brownie. It actually tasted like brownie batter was in the kind-of-ice-cream.
 
I'm pretty sure it's made with the chocolate variety of DQ's kind-of-ice-cream. It might have mentioned that online, or I noticed from the picture. Back when the boys were younger and still riding to school with me, and you could actually GO INSIDE a Dairy Queen, I'd ask for my Blizzard to be made with chocolate ice cream. I didn't do it for the Brownie Batter Blizzard last week, and it was chocolatey.

Monday was a different story. A girl took my order instead of a guy. When I got to the window, she asked if I wanted a lid on it. Nope. I planned to pull into a parking space and enjoy it, not wish I had three hands to eat it while driving. And then the gal did the most amazing thing!

SHE FLIPPED THE BLIZZARD UPSIDE DOWN BEFORE HANDING IT TO ME!

I'm pretty sure the DQ employees are supposed to do this. Because for as many years as I can remember, there's been a sign here saying that AT THIS DQ, THE BLIZZARDS WILL NOT BE TURNED UPSIDE DOWN, and don't expect a free one because you think they "forgot." It must be a chain thing, and the Hillmomba DQ thinks they're exempt. Until now...

Anyhoo... I was impressed that the kind-of-ice-cream was so thick. In years past, no way could they turn it upside down, because it would plop out, being too melty and thin.

Anyhoo... I pulled over to enjoy my treat, and noticed right away that it was not chocolatey! It was brown, not white. But a paler shade of brown than last week. AND when I stirred it around, there were whole blobs of WHITE kind-of-ice-cream in the bottom! I think the gal made it with vanilla kind-of-ice-cream, added a bit of chocolate syrup, perhaps, (because there was certainly no brownie batter taste or texture this time) and passed it off as a true Brownie Batter Blizzard.

You can't trust anyone these days to do a job well. Or even right.

6 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

How did the memo sent to me get lost? I worked at a DQ when I was 15... They didn't have chocolate "ice milk" in those days. When did they start having it, and why wasn't I informed?

River said...

What a disappointment to find not-a-proper-blizzard in a blizzard cup. My mum would have been right back at that window in less than a minute, getting it changed for the real thing. She never cared about inconveniencing those who had done the wrong thing by her and always ended up with exactly what she ordered.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
You, Madam, are out of the loop. We've had chocolate kind-of-ice-cream at the Hillmomba DQ for at least 20 years! When I took the boys there to play in the outdoor enclosed slide area with the rubber tiles, that's what I'd order.

Did you ever consider that they kept the chocolate a secret from you? Since you had a tendency to "make mistakes" wherein you had to eat your errors...

***
River,
Well, I would have to wish good luck to anybody who tries that these days (are you listening, Kampground Kathy?) because to get back to the window, you'd have to endure a line of 8-15 cars for another turn. The dining room (and outdoor play area) is still closed.

Even if it wasn't closed, I am not one to take something back. I worry about revenge spit. Or worse. I am more likely to whine passive-aggressively about it the next time I go (yes, this will not preclude me from trying to get that delicious treat), after my order has been handed to me.

River said...

My mum wasn't a driver, like me, never had a license, but she would have the driver park the car and be knocking at that window hard enough to raise the devil himself.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I AM listening! I would have waited in line and asked for exactly what I was expecting. I seem to be getting worse as the years pass. Maybe it is all the aggravation I endure from others. We need to sell this before I get really mean!!

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I have a feeling the devil himself would have been no match for your mom!

That brings back memories of me standing in the drive-thru line at my bank in Sheldon, Missouri, to deposit my paycheck. Of course, I wasn't mad, I was happy to have a paycheck. I was in the Friday afternoon rush: two cars and me. Of course I WOULD be the middle customer, inhaling car exhaust, and worried about the car behind me giving me a 'flat tire.' [In case you don't know that slang, it's when the person behind you steps on the heel of your shoe and pulls it off as you are walking.]

***
Kathy,
Maybe that DQ worker has a blog: Daisy's Dairy Queen, where she can vent about her customers. Not ME, of course! I take whatever she shovels out.