Sunday, August 15, 2021

C'mon And Take A Slow Ride...On My Office Rolly Chair

Not only is my internet slooowwww... but I've having trouble staying at the keyboard of New Delly. I sit down and pull up to my corner desk area as usual, but before you can say SWEET GUMMI MARY, I find myself at arms' length. I have to grasp the edge of the fake-butcher-block countertop that my desk is made of, and pull myself back to the keyboard. It's especially bothersome when I'm turned to the right side, where I keep my bubba cups, to scratch my lottery tickets.
 
The Pony has pointed out before that my clear plastic chair mat has grooves and humps in it. From 20 years of baking in front of my underdesk heater, which is now kaput. I guess that might be the reason I keep slip-slidin' away. It happened before, and then got better. I've tried to turn the mat this way and that, push it farther under the desk. With limited success.
 
I feel like I'm sitting on the deck of the Titanic as it tilts to sink into Davy Jones's locker.
 
Maybe I just have more time to contemplate my predicament, what with waiting for pages to load on new Delly. It took 30 minutes to type brief replies to 3 comments! That is not efficient!
 
The good news is... after 2:00 a.m., New Delly seems to run normally. If I didn't know better (which I'm pretty sure I DO), I'd say The Pony has been streaming shows and eating away at my innernets. He says I'M the one who's using all the innernets! By watching my conspirators spout out their disinformation! Well. I've been doing that for four years while he was away at college, and did not have this slow-down. Let's look at the new variable in this equation!
 
Anyhoo... it's going to be a long, slippery slope until midnight of the 24th, when my internet resets for the month. And probably longerer and slipperyer until I figure out how to stop rolling backwards in this runaway rolly chair.

4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

It sounds like it's time for The Pony to start thinking about moving to his own pasture... and his own internet.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I was thinking that last night, while innernetting with both hands tied behind my back, as I smelled The Pony upstairs making pasta with garlic and spicy oils at 1:30 a.m.

Actually, The Pony planned to move into an apartment in September, after his probationary period was over. That was right before he pulled up lame. And THEN he got to looking at houses...

We are content to bide our time until the new home is ready for occupation. Probably early spring. If The Pony's job goes as expected, we will see little of him until after January, what with the Christmas shipping coming up. He can't be soaking up internet while he's not home, or while he's in the big triangle tub in the master bathroom for two hours every night, too tired to stay up late.

River said...

Turn the mat sideways so the ruts become speedhumps, that should stop the rolling.
You'll know for sure about the slowing because of streaming if the internet goes back to normal once The Pony gets back to work.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I will give that a try! The Pony still maintains his innocence. I am still suspicious. He looked up the usage today, and supposedly we are only at 73 percent for the month. Still. There are 9 days left before the reset. Maybe I get throttled after a certain percent.