Saturday, August 28, 2021

Shame Shame Shame Shame Shame. Shame On Me. Because I Didn't See.

I've heard that song two days in a row now. "Shame, Shame, Shame," by Shirley and Company. Even Steven does nothing without an agenda...

Thursday, in fact, I heard it before going into Country Mart to buy scratchers out of the machine. I first went to the machine on the left, and waited patiently for the one on the right to become available. A gal was buying tickets there, and talking to another employee about THE BIRTHDAY BOY, who may or may not have been an actual boy, but was for sure a co-worker of theirs whom they expected to see later to present him with a card that everybody had signed. 

The dude was the deli guy who gives me extra hush puppies for The Pony, even thought they ARE about 4 hours old, and not really suitable for sale at the time I get there. The gal went behind the service desk, and I stepped up to put my money in the lottery machine.

They had a new old ticket in this machine. A CashTastic, which I haven't seen in months. Of course I touched the screen to select one. I also got a crossword, a couple $3 mini crosswords, and a $2 Triple Dough and purple multiplier for The Pony. As I was scooping my tickets out of the tray, I was incensed to see a Black Pearl! I did not select a Black Pearl. I clearly wanted that CashTastic next to it. 

I was fuming as I went out the door. Just when I find something different, that dang old Even Steven thwarts my attempt to purchase it! Back in T-Hoe, I turned the tickets over to write an initial on the back, so I'd know where I got it. In case of a good winner, you don't want to keep buying off that roll.

What in the NOT-HEAVEN? There was my CashTastic! How could that be? Wait a minute... I had my crosswords, The Pony's tickets, the CashTastic AND A RANDOM BLACK PEARL!

I can only assume that the gal ahead of me had bought it, and it didn't fall out until my CashTastic nudged it on the way down the slot. You know how hard I tried to be honest last time I found money left in the lottery machine, right? And was told WE DON'T DO THAT when I asked if they could see if a person came back asking about it. Because I was ready to hand them a ten, since didn't want to steal someone else's money. Since they did not seem cooperative in the matter, I just left it there for the next lady, who was already waiting for the machine when I was done.

Anyhoo... I was already back in T-Hoe. It was 98 degrees. It was not my fault their machine jams all the time. I was not feeling like walking all the way back inside, to stand at the service desk and argue about the right thing to do with that mysterious $5 Black Pearl.

YES! I STOLE A LOTTERY TICKET!

I took the Black Pearl home with me. It was a loser. Just like my CashTastic. They say everybody has their price. 

Looks like Mrs. HM's price is $5.

4 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

Since you didn't win anything off of it, it's okay.

It's like when I cheated taking a math test in high school. I wrote a bunch of theorems on my arm... and I still flunked the test.

You COULD have been in a nice, cool. air-conditioned school, instead of cruising around town in the heat. That's YOUR fault.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
I turned down an opportunity to cheat on my college Exercise Physiology test. It was one of the two hard classes that made many a physical education major switch to a recreation major. Quite a bit of math and chemistry involved. It wouldn't have necessitated arm-writing, either! Just a bunch of my classmates drinking beer and reviewing a purloined copy of an old final. No thank you.

I might have been VISITING a nice, cool, air-conditioned school. But I wouldn't have been in my classroom, where that little self-important p-word of a maintenance man had installed a see-through LOCK BOX over the thermostat. So when I had a class of 35, I couldn't kick down the thermostat to fight their body heat.

You will EVENTUALLY discover that the worst day of retirement is better than the best day of teaching. Because... well... it's RETIREMENT, by cracky!

River said...

I wouldn't call it stealing, instead it is a random act of Even Steven, giving you more opportunities to win. Or lose.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I didn't feel quite so bad when it lost. I saved the Birthday Boy from a disappointment. Maybe that gal went back and bought him another ticket.