Saturday, August 21, 2021

The Acetaminophen Ramekin

Let the record show that Mrs. HM's outlook on life has not changed. Sure, it's still jaded and suspicious, but I have not abandoned all hope. I am mentally stable. So if Genius or The Pony should catch a glimpse of my ramekin of acetaminophen, they should not take it as a sign that their impending inheritance is on the fast track. I am merely refilling my lair supply of painkillers. I still have plenty of ibuprofen, but ran out of acetaminophen. 

 
I am resigned to the constant knee pain, and don't take these OTC painkillers every day. But I DO need them when I get a sinus headache, which only gets worse and worse for a day and a half if I don't take something.

Friday, my sinuses were whooping my rumpus. Kicking me in the shins. Giving me an Indian burn and a titty-twister. Frog-punching my arm, flicking the back of my ear, and giving me a wet Willy. Topping it off with the Three Stooges two-fingered eye-poke, then dragging me around with those two fingers inserted into my nostrils. Sinuses were not happy!

The temperature was 84, with 97 percent humidity. That feels like 102 degrees! That heat slapped me in the face the minute I stepped out of the 74-degree Mansion. It took my breath away. I don't know what the barometric pressure was, but I felt my forehead start either expanding or contracting from within.

T-Hoe's air conditioner, set on 72, blew onto my face for the drive to town. But each time I left T-Hoe, the oppressive heat slapped it again. I'm sure that's what set off the headache. Right now it's 1:55 a.m., and I'm relatively comfortable, after an aspirin, an acetaminophen, and an ibuprofen throughout the day.

Let's hope tomorrow is kinder to my sinuses, who will then be kinder to me.

5 comments:

River said...

Definitely the oppressive heat is what kicked all that off. I hope it doesn't happen again or at least not soon.

Sioux Roslawski said...

Better humidity-wise? In this part of the country, in August?

Fuhgeddabbotit.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I made it through today without a headache. Only one acetaminophen, as I started to town, to ward it off. Temperature was 85, didn't seem as humid. I didn't consult my own personal pnone-meteorologist, Farmer H, to ask the humidity.

***
Sioux,
Must you be such a realist, Madam? Of course I remember, BACK WHEN I WAS WORKING, years when the boys started basketball conditioning practice the last week of OCTOBER, and some collapsed from the heat after running laps around the parking lot and Newmentia. Thank the Gummi Mary, if it gets too bad, I can lounge around the Mansion, and make my own ordinary elixir instead of going out in the heat.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Have you tried Flonase for the sinus headache? I am allergic to many things, all common everyday things like grass pollen and cat dander and dust mites and mold. I take Zyrtec and Singulair every day, but when I get a sinus headache, the Flonase will usually do the trick. Like you I don't want to kill my liver and kidneys. Have you tried the new OTC painkiller that is applied topically? The name escapes me right now, but Walmart has it. I have an RX for it, as it is cheaper with my Medicare. It works well on my thumb joint and I have knee pain occasionally and it worked on it as well. Diclofenac is the RX. The OTC name will come to me, most likely in the middle of the night!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I have not tried it. I think Genius used to use Flonase for his allergies, along with Zyrtec. I'm pretty sure he had a dust allergy, and maybe grass. The Pony gets headaches sometimes when Farmer H mows the yard/field. I used to snort the Walmart generic saline every morning, and it kept my headaches at bay. Mostly.

I have not tried the topical OTC med. I haven't set foot in Walmart since The Pony came home and became my legs after graduation in 2020.