Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Farmer H May NOT Be The Worst Driver Out There

When I came out of the Gas Station Chicken Store last week, I observed a driver more reckless (or uncaring) than Farmer H. Such insouciance for the rules of the road was magnified exponentially with this driver, since his vehicle was many times larger than A-Cad.
 
I shudder to think what it would be like to ride in a big rig with Farmer H! I'd probably be throw out of the cab with such a magnitude of sweaving. Or maybe I'd lie down on the bed behind the seats. STRAP myself down, perhaps. Like in an ambulance. And give myself a morphine drip to stay calm. Oh, the pipe dreams I have! We all know that I'd never make it up those steps on the side of the truck. I'd better not show this picture to Farmer H. I'm sure he'd want a big truck to put his name on!

 
No. He is NOT merely parked at the light, awaiting his turn to proceed through the intersection. If you look closely, you'll see that this truck is is taking up the regular lane, the left-turn lane, and the oncoming traffic lane. And maybe the entrance to the liquor store! Here. Let's look at a wider angle:

 
Behind the truck is the liquor store. That truck driver was coming down the road beside the liquor store, and turned onto their lot, and came out on the main street to wait at the traffic light. Not sure that is any easier than getting in the left-turn lane from the road he was on. In fact, I think this maneuver is more difficult. But I don't drive a semi truck. Only T-Hoe.

That gray building over the cab of the truck is my pharmacy. The orange-roofed building is Dairy Queen. Across the moat is the striped roof of Farmer H's pharmacy. Country Mart is over behind my pharmacy. That's my world. A nicely-condensed business neighborhood to service my addictions.

5 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

So, just his name emblazoned on the side of the truck. Too bad it didn't have an 800 number with the question, "how's my driving". We did Dish installs as a part of our last business. When I say "we" I do not mean that I had any part in it. But, it required a vehicle that could carry ladders and such. HeWho bought a white panel van and had our logo and phone number put on both sides of the van. If a driver was driving poorly, people could get the phone number and call to complain. Only complaint ever was about HeWho driving aggressively. He used to be horrible about riding too close to the vehicle in front of them to try to encourage them to move over to the slow lane. Since his days of towing, he has become a more considerate driver, still not perfect.

Sioux Roslawski said...

No, I think I am the worst driver. I have a tiny car, and did something to both sides (rear panels) of my car--in the same driveway on two different occasions.

Now when I pull into that friend's driveway, I'm extra careful because I know the area is lying in wait... The decorative fence and the stone wall--they're ever vigilant.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Yeah, I'm pretty sure there's no 800 number for complaints on his own truck, heh, heh! Unless maybe he has a fleet.

Farmer H runs up on cars, or switches lanes too close, because he is reluctant to tap the brakes since it takes off the cruise control. It's not like he has to pull over and open the hood to reset that cruise. It's a tiny button on the blinker lever!

***
Sioux,
Okay! You can have the trophy, Farmer H can take the plaque. He had a dent in SilverRedO's bumper from where he backed into a pipe or pole, and a year later he hammered it out somehow, over at the BARn.

You must have been lured into the Venus Flytrap of driveways! Hopefully, your little car absorbed the forces, and you didn't damage their stone wall or undecorate their decorative fence.

River said...

I don't drive at all, so I'm going to assume that driver knew what he was doing. It does take a lot of road space to turn a big long rig, I know that much.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I drive, but I couldn't drive a big rig. I know they have trouble turning, so if one is waiting in a turn lane to come my way, I stop a little ways back from the line, so they'll have room to cut the corner without taking off T-Hoe's fender!