Thursday, August 19, 2021

The Regular Pinwheel Lady Must Be On Vacation

Trouble in paradise! Or at least in Country Mart, at the deli counter, where I buy my delicious pinwheels. I think the Pinwheel Lady might be on vacation. Hopefully, she's not out with a raging case of hepatitis! 
 
The pinwheels I bought two days ago are not up to par! First of all, they are SQUASHED! Flattened! Not at all round like a pinwheel should be. Imagine a jelly roll. That's what a pinwheel should look like. What if your jelly roll was flat? Uh huh. See what I'm talking about? It's wrong!

I'm always happy to see pinwheels in the deli case. Of course I buy them, (after a quick check of the expiration date; I'm not an idiot), no matter what their shape. I'm only giving you TWO this time, to make a point.

 
You'd think the regular Pinwheel Lady could cut the pinwheels more uniformly. Here we have a big pinwheel, and a little pinwheel. Like a hermit crab with a big claw, and a little claw. Nothing for Goldilocks to enjoy. Nothing JUST RIGHT. If I offered you a choice of these two morsels, you might prefer the large one. Oh, you'd probably TAKE the small one, to be all high-horsey and selfless, but you'd COVET the large one. Perhaps your high-horsey selflessness would pay off:

 
Aerial views can be deceiving! The large pinwheel is mostly air and lettuce, while the small pinwheel is chock full of meaty-cheesiness. Again, I would prefer a happy medium. And for my pinwheels to be ROUND. Another thing... whoever made this batch did not follow the same order as the regular Pinwheel Lady. The one who told me "another man" comes in the store and buys a lot of pinwheels, like I do. 

These pinwheels have the cream cheese sticking the meat to the tortilla, instead of the cream cheese being between the two layers of tortilla. I don't like that, because I can't unroll a layer of cream-cheesey tortilla to eat on the side, with BBQ potato chips. It's virtually impossible to pry the tortilla away with some cream cheese, because that meat sticks to the cream cheese like glue.

The Pony says I'm crazy, taking those pinwheels apart. He's a fine one to talk, that package-ripping, letter-opener-challenged little psycho! I'll eat deconstructed pinwheels if I so desire. Which I do. Even though it's a chore when the pinwheels are flat, irregular, and stuck together wrong.

4 comments:

River said...

If I was a pinwheel eater I wouldn't care if they were flat, but I would prefer the fillings to be evenly distributed and the sizes more equal.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Yes, the shape isn't a deal-breaker. Even if I was a society matron, I could have the help squeeze them back into round versions before serving them to my bridge club. The flat pinwheels still unroll the same as the round ones, so for my needs, the shape is acceptable.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

You could always buy the ingredients and make your own ... Not gonna happen?

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I DID make my own, but I could never find those tender tortillas. Mine were always tough, with too-thick tortilla layers. So I gave up. Too much floury dough for me! I even looked for some kind of flatbread, but couldn't find anything suitable. I would gladly make my own to order if I had the thin tender tortillas.