Wednesday, August 4, 2021

The Hand That Blocks The Playful Rues The Bird

The Pony went out to lunch with his cousin Niecy on Monday. They went to Colton's Steak House, over in Bill-Paying Town. Of course The Pony had a ribeye. He brought home part of it for later, which turned out to be Tuesday morning at 6:30. I was on my way to bed as he was warming it in the oven. When I got up around noon, The Pony pranced over to the table where I sat with Hippie, and waggled his BAD finger. The bird. On his right hand.

"Oh, Mom. You know how we can't seem to have any luck lately? Well, it continues. I was almost done with my steak, and the last three bites were all gristly. [Don't feign surprise. They went to COLTON'S, not RUTH'S CHRIS!] I tried to eat it, but I had to spit out one bite after I couldn't chew it any more. I went out on the front porch, where I heard the dogs. All three of them were out there playing around.

I had a piece of steak for each of them. Poor Jack got the worst one, the bite I already chewed--"

"That probably made it more tasty for him. And he has such a tiny mouth!"

"Anyway, I gave a piece to Juno, and I was trying to give a piece to Copper Jack, and keep Juno away from him. He got all excited and grabbed it out of my hand, and his teeth scratched my finger."

"So Copper Jack BIT you?"

"Not really a bite. He was trying to eat the steak, and my finger was still on it."

"I hope he doesn't have rabies! If you start foaming at the mouth, don't come at me!"

"I came in and put a bandaid and triple antibiotic ointment on it. I didn't get my prescription ointment for my knee, because I was trying to get it to stop bleeding. I mean... it wasn't really bleeding a lot. I was holding pressure on it with my one hand while I used the other to get the bandaid open. I washed it with soap and water first. I'd show you, but we only had a couple of those big bandaids left..."

"Eww! I don't want to see it! Leave it covered. I guess you'll be all right. He's not a mean dog, but you never know when there's food. Juno will do that to you in a heartbeat! She is so afraid somebody else will get her share, and their own rightful share, that she will snap at the food whether your hand is in the way or not!"

Farmer H said, "Copper Jack BIT you?"

"No. Not really a bite. Just scraped my finger getting the piece of steak in my hand."

"Eh. I'm not afraid of him having rabies. He's over here all the time."

I suppose the Mansion has a magical force-field that prevents rabies from flourishing...

5 comments:

Sioux Roslawski said...

If he does start foaming at the mouth, you won't have to fix up that house for him.

It looks like a great fixer-upper...

River said...

Aren't there obvious symptoms when a dog has rabies? So you'd notice if Copper Jack has it? We don't have rabies in Australia, crossed fingers that it never arrives.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Sioux,
Well, we could make a tidy profit by flipping it! Hopefully the eventual buyer would not be freaked out by a foaming-mouthed Pony apparition for two hours nightly over the jetted bathtub.

***
River,
Foaming at the mouth, aversion to water, aggressiveness. No, we've seen none of that from Copper Jack. This was a bad feeding decision by The Pony.

The movie "Cujo" might give you an idea of the symptoms! Or the book.

River said...

I remember the symptoms from "To Kill A Mockingbird"

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
That is one classic I have neither seen, nor read.