Friday, December 9, 2022

I Can't Help But Think This Was Intended

Farmer H has a rewards account with Casey's. He earns points that can be redeemed for merchandise, or gas, and gets offers that people without a rewards account don't get. This has been going on for a couple years now. When I get gas every week, I put in Farmer H's account so he can get the rewards. Too bad lottery doesn't count! I've even had clerks ask me if I have rewards, and I have to tell them, "Yes. But lottery doesn't qualify." At least I used to tell them that. These days, the clerks don't ask if I have rewards!

A couple months ago, Casey's updated their card scanner thingy. It used to pop up the REWARDS option as the clerk was ringing up the order. So you could do it any time. But now, that REWARDS button does not show up unless you ask the clerk! They have to put in something so you get the option to enter your info. The trick is to ask at a time when you don't distract the clerk from what they are doing, and before the transaction is complete.

I've missed getting Farmer H's rewards for the past two weeks. On Thursday, I was at the Sis-Town Casey's as usual, to get T-Hoe's gas. It was not busy. In fact, nobody was in line when I entered and stepped up to the register where two women were loitering behind the counter. One was on her phone. The other standing back watching her.

"Hello. I'd like $24 in gas on Pump 4."

The non-phone clerk looked a bit annoyed, but stepped up and put it into the register. Then I asked for my scratchers. I waited for them to be scanned. Then when she told me the total, I handed it over, and asked if I could enter my rewards.
 
"You can't get rewards for lottery." She continued ringing up the transaction and handed me my change.
 
"I know that, but I had $24 of gas. Gas is good for rewards."
 
"Oh. Well. Uh..."
 
"So it's too late now? I guess I'll do without the rewards, then." 

"Do you have the ap?"

"No, but my husband does."

"Well, I can give you the receipt, and then he can enter the points for the ap."

"Okay. Thank you."

I was none too happy about her lackadaisical attitude towards waiting on me, and then her haste to finish the transaction without giving me my rewards opportunity.

When I got home, I told Farmer H.

"Yeah. They do that now. They never ask if you have rewards. YOU have to ask THEM."

"I got the receipt so you can enter your points with the ap."

"I don't know how to do that."

"Oh. I guess I didn't need the receipt, then. I think they updated their scanners for the purpose of cutting down on rewards!"

"Yeah. It wouldn't surprise me. It's really hard to get them now."

That's a shame.  We really enjoyed the free pizza every now and then, plus Farmer H getting special discounts on snacks and water. I think he mainly uses his points for gas now. When he can get them!

2 comments:

River said...

I've never bothered with rewards. Here if you sign up for them you get a card like a credit card that you scan yourself at the checkout and it adds the rewards for you. But you need to spend a certain amount to even earn a single point and I just don't buy that much at any one time. It would take forever to build up to the point where I could get something from those rewards.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
This one just adds any amount of purchase for rewards. I think it's based on a percentage of what you buy. Farmer H and I both get gas there, and then he has donuts every morning...

To put in your rewards, you just have to enter your phone number tied to your rewards account. Farmer H messed his up so many times in the beginning, he had to give the girl helping him MY phone number! So it's easy enough to enter, IF the clerk gives you the option to enter it.