Thursday, December 29, 2022

The Exotic Breads Of Hillmomba

No! That wasn't clickbait! Just honoring a request from blog buddy River, who wanted to see the strange breads called "Hawaiian," and "Honey Wheat," which Farmer H bought for our Christmas ham sandwiches.

We shall start with the Hawaiian bread:


There are the slices we had left. Nothing remarkable about the appearance. The texture is very soft. It's a sweet-tasting bread.


Front label. It's a half loaf, because we usually don't eat a lot of bread around the Mansion.


Back label, in case you want to see nutritional information and ingredients.

This is a brand carried by Country Mart. When I buy Hawaiian bread, I usually get the most famous brand, King's Hawaiian. They have a wide variety of Hawaiians! Dinner rolls, pretzel rolls, mini sub rolls, sliced bread, hamburger buns, hot dog buns, slider buns that look like mini hamburger buns, and a round loaf that comes in an aluminum pie pan, suitable for hollowing out and putting dip or serving something else in a bread bowl.

Now for the Honey Wheat bread:


As you would imagine, the Honey Wheat has a courser texture than the Hawaiian bread. It's still soft, but a little more grainy from the wheat. If I concentrate, I get a hint of the honey flavor.


The front of the bag. For once we're going to finish it before the expiration date!


The back label. Tastes better than you would expect, after seeing that long list of preservatives!

There you have it, the exotic breads of Hillmomba!

5 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

HeWho likes Wonder Bread and he will buy that long loaf. He likes it because it doesn't grow mold. That means it is loaded with preservatives! I won't buy it, I would rather toss out some moldy bread than eat preservatives!

River said...

They both look like very nice breads, made by the same company. I was sort of hoping the Hawaiian bread would be made in Hawaii, but of course that would make it too expensive. If I had to choose between the two I might opt for the honey wheat for the sweeter flavour. Then again, the Hawaiian has barley malt and I do like that. I have it in syrup form and add a teaspoonful to my breakfast porridge for the B vitamins, it has B1, B2, B3,B6 and B12.
I like the evenly browned crust on both styles, and the thickness of the slices.

River said...

A second looks shows me they both have barley malt.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Farmer H likes Wonder Bread, or Bunny Bread. I'm not a fan of the spongy white version. Since I'm the one buying it, he rarely gets his bread of choice. Usually our bread gets past the freshness date, and ends up as a dog treat.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
The Hawaiian Bread actually has a sweeter taste than the Honey Wheat. I like a bit of texture in my bread. My favorite is Nutty Oat, so I can crunch an actual nut or two while chewing my sandwich.

I didn't look that closely at the ingredients. The list is almost longer than the loaf!