Saturday, December 31, 2022

Mrs. HM's Chex Mix: Soon To Be A Product Of The East Coast

I got a text from Genius around noon on Friday. Such a surprise, since he was JUST HERE! Sometimes he goes a month without communicating. Or more.

"Your Chex Mix is a big hit with our friends too. Can I get the recipe for it?"

"Eventually! Want it in the next letter, or an email later today?"

"An email later today would be great. One of our friends is asking for it."

"Do they have a big speckled roasting pan, or just the 9 x 13 metal cake pans?"

"I expect just the 9 x 13 cake pans. That's what we have and I suspect will be more common."

I had it sent within a couple hours.

"Got it!"

"Hope it turns out okay."

"I'll let you know if I hear anything about their attempt!"

"Okay. It takes years to become a Master Chexman!"

We'll see how they do. Probably wanting to make it for New Year's Eve snacks...

6 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Now you will be famous!

River said...

Does it really take years to become a Master Chexman? It seems so simple: gather ingredients, mix, bake, mix, bake, mix, bake. Then divvy up into containers for giving and eating.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Not as famous as Amos and his cookies, but my recipe might eventually get around.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
How about you give it a try and let me know? When I have given out my recipe to co-workers, they say they can't get it to come out the same way. It's the nuances of stirring and adding the seasonings that come with practice. Even my sister the ex-mayor's wife can't get hers to come out like mine. She even called me the week before Christmas for a consultation, and we use the exact same recipe.

River said...

Ah, the nuances. When to stir, when to sprinkle the spice. That probably takes time to learn. And let's not forget the differences in flavour between different brands of spices. I shall leave the Queen of Chex-Mix Crown in your safe hands.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I think it's more about the amount of spices you sprinkle in, and if you stir before letting it bake 15 minutes. I never measure the garlic powder, garlic salt, and Worcestershire sauce. I just shake it in until it feels right. Each person has to decide the flavor they like, and adjust accordingly until they get it right.

I am setting my Chex Mix Queen Crown at a jaunty angle, and basking in my fame.