Wednesday, December 21, 2022

The Convenience Was Sorely Lacking

I made fresh Chex Mix on Monday night, and offered to take some by for The Pony. I told him it would be after 3:00. He was taking Farmer H out to lunch for his birthday. 

It was just before 3:00 when I got to the Gas Station Chicken Store. I had some winning scratchers to cash in. I'm in the process of getting the annual Christmas scratchers for The Pony, Genius, Friend, and Farmer H. I had a list of what I needed, from which convenience stores, so as not to buy off the same ticket roll. To me, that's buying a sure loser if you get consecutive tickets.

Anyhoo... I was also headed to the bank for our weekly cash allowance, since I will be busy with Christmas preparations the rest of the week. The bank closes at 4:00. So I wanted to get my business done, and head there before stopping by Pony House.

Only a couple cars were on the lot, but inside the Gas Station Chicken Store was a LINE! A woman was paying with her card, and having problems. Behind her were two young guys. Then an older man behind them. While I was standing in line, a guy from the soda fountain saw us, and walked around to stand in the aisle behind us. Then a dude came in to deliver a package. Than another man to pay for gas.

I was waiting mostly patiently. The woman finally got done with her transaction, and said that yes, she WOULD take the red gas drawing tickets. So there was that explanation, and she lurked around waiting to get to the drawing box behind the Older Man.

Young Guy 1 stepped up, and put a Klondike ice cream bar on the counter. The clerk said, 

"Sorry. There's a $3 minimum to use your card." Young Guy 1 looked mystified, so she added, "Can you pay cash, or go get something else that adds up to $3?"

Off went Young Guy 1, behind me and down the aisle, and up the next aisle where the snacks are. You would think that the line would move while he was looking, but NO! Young Guy 2 just stood there, waiting for Young Guy 1 to come back and pay! 

Young Guy 1 finally came back with a square pack of M&Ms. The clerk turned them over.

"There's no price on these. No orange tag. Can you go back and get another one? I think they're $1.79, but I'm not sure."

Off went Young Guy 1 for more M&Ms. Yep. Everybody had to wait on him to return and pay. SWEET GUMMI MARY! That's ridiculous! Once you step out of line, it should move forward without you! You forfeit your turn!

I knew it was going to be a while. I hate small spaces. Too many people. I left to go to the bank, and returned shortly after 4:00. I was the only customer inside. That's more like it.

I really need to offer line etiquette classes...

4 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

No, you don't want to try to teach etiquette! You could write a book about it, though.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Yes, I would probably tear out the limp locks of my lovely lady-mullet if I attempted to educate the self-centered denizens of Hillmomba.

River said...

The cashier should have called the next person forward.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
She looked at him expectantly, but the next customer would not step forward. This is the mild-mannered cashier, but she WILL ignore people who step up when it's not their turn, or tell them they need to wait.