Sunday, December 4, 2022

Mrs. HM Can Lead A Farmer To Larder, But She Cannot Make Him Sync

When Farmer H came home with info on his upcoming back surgery to fix bulging discs, I asked if they would have him lying on his stomach afterward.
 
"I cain't lay on my stomach! Anyway, when my buddy had his back surgery, they had him laying on his back. So I guess I'll be on my back."
 
"Did the doctor say anything about losing weight before the operation?"
 
"He said he usually likes people to be a certain BMI. Like 40, I think he said. But I'm at 38."
 
"That doesn't sound right. I'd think he would want them LESS than 40 for sure. He doesn't want you to get up to 40!"
 
"I don't know. That's what I thought he said. He also said there wouldn't be time for me to lose before surgery."
 
I kind of disagree on that. The surgery is a month away, minimum. Surely every little bit can help. I'm not shaming Farmer H. Just trying to make his surgery experience better if possible.
 
"I can get some of the chicken breasts and bake them. We can have that very night, with a salad or vegetable for the side."
 
"Yeah. I could eat that. I've already lost four pounds in the last couple weeks."
 
That's a mysterious development! Especially since Farmer H has been having a bowl of ice cream every night. As much as 4 or 5 of his individual ice cream cups I used to buy him.
 
"There's a can of pears in the fridge. I'll stop buying ice cream."
 
"Okay. I guess I oughta finish it off tonight."
 
Anyhoo... I bought two bags of the boneless chicken breasts on sale. REALLY on sale! At Country Mart, $5.98 for a 2.5 pound bag. That was over $7 off per bag! I still plan to make our turkey pot pie, but then we'll be having chicken. Farmer H likes it baked with lemon pepper seasoning.

Here's the thing. No matter how healthy the food is that I stock for Farmer H, I can't control what he eats while he's out of my sight. He's an adult, you know. He should be able to make rational decisions. Yet he does not. His ideas of healthy are not the same as my ideas of healthy.

Saturday, he was going to the auction. No time to cook a regular meal. I had some Country Mart fried chicken left from Friday, when Farmer H was out late watching a play featuring The Veteran's daughters. So I said he could have the two legs and a wing before he went to the auction. So he didn't have to buy a hamburger there like he does sometimes. Not that fried chicken is healthy, but it was protein at least. Something quick.

I had planned on making him some rice and broccoli as a side dish. I saw him on our gravel road as I was headed to town around 3:00. When I got home at 3:45, I smelled chicken.

"Don't tell me you already ate the chicken!"

"Yeah. Why?"

"Didn't you have lunch?"

"Yeah. I had a hamburger around 11:30."

"And you needed to eat the chicken NOW? You usually have supper around 5:30 when you go to the auction."

"Oh, I'm still going to have a hamburger when I get there."

"So you're eating four meals a day now?"

"I don't know where you get that! I don't eat four meals!"

"Let's see. You had Casey's donuts for breakfast. Then a hamburger. Then two legs and a wing. And now you'll be having another hamburger."

"That ain't four meals!"
 
There's no reasoning with Farmer H. He will eat what he eats. I have nothing to do with influencing him. At least he will have to work harder for his junk food, rather than getting it here at the Mansion.

4 comments:

River said...

How does he lose four pounds when eating that much icecream daily? HOW?
I wonder if he thinks donuts don't count as a meal because they're snack/dessert food?

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
If I knew THAT, I would bottle it and sell it on the counter of my proposed handbasket factory!

Farmer H says he's switched to just a little six-pack of mini donuts at Casey's, because they're cheaper. Today he had donuts, a breakfast sandwich (meaning a sausage egg biscuit) brought to him by a SUS2 colleague at 11:00, then came home and made himself a Wild Turkey and Diet Shasta Cola, with two slices of cheese and a mini bag of potato chips. Then he had turkey pot pie for supper. And two iced oatmeal cookies for his snack.

I had a banana (oops! Farmer H also has a daily banana), some honey nut fake cheerios, some honey mustard pretzels for lunch, and turkey pot pie. Yet my rumpus is ampler than his!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Do you ever just want to walk over to a wall and start banging your head? I know I do, so you must. Feel that way, I mean. Don't go bang your head, it won't help and you will have to explain your frustration to a man incapable of comprehension.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
YES! I won't do it, because I could put a hole in the wall, and it might never be fixed.