Tuesday, December 20, 2022

Mark Your Calendar!

Even though your 2022 calendars are only good for a couple more weeks, mark them now. NOW, I tell you! There has been a strange development at the Mansion.

Farmer H went to town about an hour late on Monday morning, waiting for a hardware store to open so he could get some rail-making fixtures. Oh, don't jump to the conclusion that it was for those 13 rail-less basement steps. It was not. It was for the SUS2 (Storage Unit Store 2), where Farmer H has two large steps out front from the parking lot area. He has some big concrete thingies to keep someone from driving into his unit, heh, heh. An old man was leaning on them to get up the steps this weekend, so Farmer H decided he needed a rail. He decided he needed it even more when the old man fell going down the steps the next day. I'll stop short of that tactic in an effort to get my own rail. Oh, and the old man was not hurt. Farmer H went to check on him. 

Anyhoo... Farmer H was back home before noon:30! Much to my chagrin, but there's a silver lining! He had bought me two long ice scrapers, as I had requested only three times. 

THEN Farmer H went outside on the porch, and checked the landline for our three-years-plus static-y house phone. Turns out the static is coming from the OUTSIDE line, not the house line. So AT&T is responsible for the cost of repairs. Good luck to us getting them to come out before Christmas. And now there's a winter storm coming. So it might be spring before this gets resolved, depending on the weather. At least we know the problem is theirs. Too bad we can't withhold bill payment until it's fixed!

BUT WAIT! I'm not finished. Neither was Farmer H. Out he went to T-Hoe, for his second look at the back windshield washer that wasn't working last week in the rain and mud. His first look back then had him searching on his phone for where the line comes in from under the hood. Apparently it goes under the car, and with his back issue, he can't crawl under to check it out. He said he might first try blasting the line with an air hose in case it's just clogged. The wiper works, but not the fluid.

Anyhoo... Farmer H came back inside saying IT WORKS! But of course he had to school me in how it functions.

"You know you have to hold the button in, right? You can't just push it once."

"Yes. I am aware of that. I've only been driving this car since 2008. So I understand what is needed to wash the back windshield."

"Because if you just push it once, it won't work."

"I KNOW THAT!"

"Well. It works."

"Funny how it didn't last time you looked at it. Maybe you weren't HOLDING IN THE BUTTON!"

"I don't know why it works now, but it does. I jiggled the line first."

"Maybe that knocked something loose. You thought it might be blocked..."

Anyhoo... the main thing is: FARMER H DID THREE CHORES ON MONDAY!

As he went over to the BARn to play with his fishing stuff, he said, "There. Now is there anything else you have to complain about?"

Sweet Gummi Mary! He should know better than to toss that question out into The Universe.

4 comments:

River said...

For just a millisecond I got excited about a basement stair railing. Foolish me. Of course his customers are more important. To him. I'm glad the window wiper works now though. Too bad about the phone line, if only it did work out that with-holding bill payment got them to fix the line faster.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
That's why I warned you! I'm happy that I can clean off the back windshield to see what's behind me, since people insist on walking and driving into my path when I'm already in motion. They may be idiots, but they don't deserve to be squashed by T-Hoe. It would have been easier to get the phone line fixed in warmer weather. And before several years had passed...

Kathy's Klothesline said...

He performed a hat trick of chores!! Is the world coming to an end? HeWho is busy moaning and saying I gave him too much pain medication last night before bed and he is hung over. Funny because I did not give him any pain medication, he just thought I did. Quiet! I plan to use this trick a lot!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
That's why I felt it important to acknowledge the event. In case the world ends, it will be recorded on everybody's calendars.

Maybe you overdosed HeWho with placebos!