Tuesday, December 13, 2022

Only When I'm On A Schedule

Mrs. HM is rarely in a hurry. She, after all, has no set schedule. She's as free as a bird, flitting here and there on a whim. But sometimes, she makes a promise to The Pony. His days off are precious. Sure, he usually just stays home playing computer games. But I hate to take up his valuable relaxation time.

On Sunday, I told The Pony I could drop off some Chex Mix around 2:30. He said that was fine, and to text him when I left the Mansion. Of course nothing goes as planned when I have a timetable.

Farmer H came home as I was walking to the shower, and I had to chat with him. It put me 10 minutes late leaving the Mansion. I told The Pony that in my text at the end of the driveway, and that I was also making stops to get scratchers. That's what he wanted as payment for some items he picked up for us in the Devil's Playground.

At my first stop, Country Mart, I was headed to my favorite parking space when a car rounded the corner from the pharmacy/Hardee's road. It had the right-of-way, so I put on the brakes. And watched that car park in my rightful spot! I put T-Hoe in a lesser spot, and dashed in to get scratchers.

The lottery machine on the left was OUT OF ORDER! It was completely dark. So I turned to use the machine on the right, and one of the workers was buying tickets. The $3 scratchers I love so well! I was waiting, but then something else occurred, which will be a story of its own. So I left without scratchers, ten minutes wasted.

At my next stop, the Gas Station Chicken Store, the Man Owner was working the register. Bless his heart. He's such a nice guy, but I think he gets flustered. When he rang up my scratchers, he was $2 off. Meaning I owed him two more dollars than what he was charging me. I told him that couldn't be right. He went through my tickets again. Same result. And a third time. Same thing.

"I don't want to cheat you out of two dollars! Here. Let's look at this."

He got it after my explanation. And thanked me. Another extra ten minutes down the drain. I headed over to Casey's. Can't get all the tickets at one place! 

The Old Lady Clerk was at her regular resister by the door. I stepped up, and she just looked at me. A young guy was working at the register on the left.

"Oh. Should I go to that one?"

"Do you have a card?"

"What? A card? What do you mean, a card?"

"If you're paying with a card, you can't do it here. It's cash only."

Then I saw a handwritten note taped to the card reader.

"Oh. Cash. I always use cash for my lottery. Here. I'm cashing in these tickets, and then paying cash for the rest."

The Young Guy clerk said he'd go ahead and get my tickets while Old Lady Clerk scanned my winners. So it all worked out. Just an odd hindrance that never happens.

I sent The Pony another text saying where I was, with my new ETA. I was about 30 minutes behind schedule.

Mrs. HM plans. The Universe laughs. Maniacally.

2 comments:

River said...

Hah! I have that same Universe laughing at me too.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I enjoy making people laugh, but mainly when I PLAN ON IT!