Tuesday, February 6, 2024

Chickening Out

For a week, I have been looking forward to driving over to Sis-Town on Monday, to shop at Country Mart and get their dark meat chicken special. The day finally arrived. I WAS DEVASTATED! I guess they don't have that special any more. There were no boxes of dark meat chicken in the warmer by the register. Nobody pushing a cart through the store with such a box. 

I was about to ask at the deli counter, but while I was browsing the cold section, a gal told the other workers, "You have a job to do. Get your stuff out first. Customers can wait." Ain't THAT a fine how-do-you-do? I was RIGHT THERE. I almost think she was saying it for my benefit. Not exactly a benefit. More like a warning. Then she turned to the guy over by the hot case, and said, "We'll be with you in a minute." Not freakin' likely!

Anyhoo... I went back by the warming case near the registers on my way to check out. They had a long container of four leg/thigh pieces, baked. They had a couple of rotisserie chickens in plastic tubs. They had bone-in hot wings and BBQ wings. Maybe those are the new specials. I picked up some BBQ wings, but it's only enough for one person. Maybe six wings inside. I figure Farmer H can have that tomorrow, with the hash brown potato casserole I froze at Christmas and just thawed out.

I want my FRIED DARK MEAT CHICKEN, dang it! I don't have anywhere else to buy it.

4 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

That must be what they teach people in retail now .... ignore the customer, but get your stuff out there. She sounds like management material!!!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I suppose. She could see me STANDING RIGHT THERE! I was closer than the workers she was talking to.

River said...

I thought legs and thighs were dark meat, so why not buy those? I think you should ask next time you are there about the lack of dark meat boxes and if they will ever return.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Because they were baked! I wanted FRIED chicken. Also the reason I didn't get one of the rotisserie chickens that were in the warming case. The BBQ wings had been fried, then covered with sauce. If the deli personnel at this store were as nice as at the old Country Mart, I would ask. The people here don't want to give you the time of day! I don't want to stand waiting, being ignored, just to ask a question.