Thursday, February 22, 2024

Thank You, Universe

Last week, Farmer H told me that The Veteran was taking him fishing. I thought that would be a nice outing for them. The Veteran is quite the outdoorsman, and writes a column about fly-fishing. Farmer H used to take us fishing when the boys were young. At one time we had a little pontoon boat that we took to a local lake development, for me to fish, and The (little future) Veteran and HOS (Farmer H's Oldest Son) to jump into the deep, deep lake and swim. With life jackets, of course!

Anyhoo... the evening before the fishing trip, Farmer H said something(s) that first concerned me, and then whipped me into a panic.

"The Veteran is going to call tonight to let me know if we're going. He has to see if a guy can drop us off with the boat."

"WAIT! Boat? You didn't tell me you were going in a boat! I thought you'd be fishing from the bank. At a lake or river."

"The guy has to put us in, and then we'll fish as we float to where The Veteran leaves his truck."

"FLOAT? You're not going in a canoe!"

"No, HM. We're not going in a canoe."

"But those bass boats aren't much better! I've seen them on TV. They're just a slab low in the water! With seats that put you up high. Or some people STAND and fish!"

"Don't worry about a bass boat. We'll be in a raft."

"RAFT??? That's even worse!"

"I'll be wearing a life jacket, HM."

"It is FEBRUARY! The water is COLD! You'd have hypothermia in a minute! You'd freeze to death! A life jacket won't help that!"

"It's fine. The Veteran has insurance. He takes other veterans on fishing trips."

"So if you die, I'll have to sue The Veteran to pay for your funeral?"

"Actually, you'd be suing his insurance company."

"That is not making me feel any better! You're an old man! You have no business floating down a river on a raft in February! The news is full of old men who disappear while fishing and are never seen again!"

"We'll be fine."

Thank the Gummi Mary, The Veteran called and said the guy couldn't take them. So that was a relief. Until two days ago, when Farmer H and The Veteran rescheduled their fishing trip. The Veteran was coming to pick up Farmer H at 7:30 a.m. on Wednesday. 

Farmer H slept in until 6:45. Then he fed the dogs and ate a banana and sat down to wait. At 7:00, he got a call. The Veteran's truck had broken down on his way to the Mansion!

I was happy for Farmer H, but sad for The Veteran.

3 comments:

River said...

I'm glad Farmer H didn't get to go too, but like you, sad for The Veteran and his truck.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Maybe the universe is trying to tell them something!

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
He fails to see himself as mortal! The Veteran thinks it's the transmission, which will take a while to replace or repair, so I'm hoping for warm weather during their next attempt.

***
Kathy,
I agree, and they are not picking up what The Universe is laying down!