Saturday, February 3, 2024

Every Now And Then, You Feel A Little Bit Bad

Poor, clueless Farmer H. When he's not actively trying to kill me, he just muddles through life the best way he knows how. Sometimes, I actually feel a little bit sorry for him. Well. Not so much FOR HIM, but for the way I try to manage his behavior. He's like a half-grown puppy, who runs into the house and jumps up on the couch with muddy feet. Unsure what he's done wrong. And the next time you open the door, here he comes again, all eager to see you, newspaper swats forgiven, committing the same infraction.

Friday evening, I saw that Farmer H had once again laid a Lowe's receipt on the counter by my glasses case. I have an immense collection of them, along with Menards, lumberyards, and hardware stores. I have told Farmer H over and over that he needs to write at the top what project this was for. AND circle the date and the total, showing the method of payment.

As Chief Record Keeper and Bill Payer, I need to know which of our flip projects these purchases were for. Though most are paid with the credit card, some are cash, some are debit. One of the credit card statements does not itemize the items. We have had HOS House, Pony House, and the Double Hovel flip houses. I do NOT want to scrutinize every receipt to find when, which, what, and how much. It should be simple enough for Farmer H to make a few circles on a receipt at the time he receives it.

After all these years, I might have made progress. Farmer H came to the kitchen and wrote on that receipt! I also asked him where the pen was. The pen I used to keep there on the kitchen counter. He swore he never took the pen that is now missing.

AND LAID DOWN THE PEN HE HAD JUST USED!

"There. You can have that one."

It was purple. Had writing on the side. I picked it up to read it. It was Farmer H's commemorative pen from his 50th high school reunion!!! That pen does not belong on the kitchen counter! It's special! Not something free from a credit union or title company.

I made Farmer H take it back. Somebody's got to look out for him.

4 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

All too familiar. what would they do if someone was not there to direct them?

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Exactly! They have no idea how to survive on their own! "Cooking" scrambled eggs with cut-up hot dogs, liberally sprinkled with garlic powder. Or ordering Domino's pizza.

River said...

H ewrote on the receipt! Baby steps are being taken. I'm glad you gave back the special pen though.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I was as shocked as you!!! If only I knew the secret to getting such a "quick" response. Yes, the pen is a keepsake. Not for everyday use on the kitchen counter.