Monday, February 5, 2024

It's An Epidemic, I Tell You!

The younger generations have no sense of self-preservation! I swear, they are so used to being coddled and awarded trophies for merely existing that they cannot sense danger if it bites them on the rumpus! 

Sunday evening, I attempted to pull into one of my rightful parking spaces at 10Box, my handicap placard swinging from T-Hoe's mirror. There were two such spaces available, next to each other save the striped walkway area. 

One of the friendly workers, who has cashed two of my $500 scratcher winners, was pushing several carts towards the garage-door-like entry of the cart bay. She was in the closest handicap spot, turned around talking to a late-20s gal who was standing in the other handicap space. I had T-Hoe's blinker on, signaling that I was turning in to that space. 

The Worker Gal saw that I was parking, and pushed her carts over so she was out of the way. I didn't plan on using that space, because it is marked for VANS. I use the others if I can. I was not in a hurry. I could patiently wait for them to finish their conversation. Within reason, of course, lest some vehicle come up behind T-Hoe and want to move on down the driving lane in front of the store.

There I was, signal on, halfway into my parking space. 20s Gal stood in on the right line of the space. The car she was returning to was in the regular parking space to the left of the handicap space I was trying to park in. The passenger door was wide open. I angled into my space with enough room to avoid that open door. The handicap spaces there are wide enough that it didn't matter if I parked T-Hoe all cattywompus.

20s Gal continued talking as she backed toward her vehicle. I was afraid she would walk into the right side of T-Hoe! Even though I was stationary, with my foot on the brake, you never know when someone might run into T-Hoe, and say I hit them! Stranger things have happened. I've seen them on YouTube! Scammers stand in the road, and jump onto the hood of cars waiting at stoplights. Then declare that they've been run over and injured. Not that I thought this 20s Gal was a scammer. But you can't be too careful these days.

I waited. And waited. Then the Worker Gal cautioned the 20s Gal, "Watch yourself!" She snapped out of it, and glanced over her shoulder. Then she waved goodbye and walked in front of T-Hoe to her open door. As I got out, Worker Gal, having parked her line of carts and gone back to the end of the store, around the corner, pushed a single cart over to me. She does this so I can use it as a cart/walker. She's done it before. Even though I wasn't shopping this day, only getting scratchers out of the machine, I took the cart.

"I was afraid I might run over her!"

"I told her to look out! I was thinking the same thing. That she might walk right into you."

Us old gals have to look out for the young 'uns. They have no sense of self-preservation. The world revolves around them, and vehicles with the motor running, pulling into a parking space, will be repelled by their very special force-field.

3 comments:

River said...

I have to keep watch too, all the young ones walking anywhere are so focussed opn their phones, they walk straight lines while I dodge and weave around them. I consider it part of my fitness ritual now.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

The entitled generation!

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
You must be very fit!!!

***
Kathy,
That's the perfect name for them!