Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Bananadrama

Farmer H came back to the Mansion before I was ready for him to on Tuesday. It was scarcely 12:30! My day was already messed up from having to alter my schedule to cash in my big winning lottery ticket. HM people problems...

Anyhoo... I hadn't been to bed, and I hadn't showered. Just wrote out some bills and left for town around 10:00 a.m. There was a snowstorm forecast anyway, supposedly starting around 4:00. (You KNOW that didn't happen. Television meteorologists have a long history of letting me down.) I was sitting on the short couch watching The Best Thing I Ever Ate on the Cooking Channel. It's old reruns. This show was from 2009. The big-name chefs looked really young, and really thin.

Anyhoo... Farmer H sat down in his recliner to watch. He didn't dare snatch the remote to look for Gunsmoke. The topic of this food show was "Pizza." There was some concoction with bananas. Perhaps it was a dessert pizza. Chef Aaron Sanchez, before all his visible tattoos, was introducing it.

"The Veteran's little girl (Farmer H mentioned her by name) is right. If it has a spot on it, I ain't eatin' that banana. When they get too soft, I throw them away."

"I am NOT going to the store every day to look for green bananas! I already go every fourth day. It's like a drug addict always looking for his next fix! Seems like I'm always going to the store for bananas."

"Well, I don't like them once they start to get spots."

"The store doesn't get a shipment every day! And I've noticed that you started taking your banana from wherever you want! For years I have lined them up in the fruit bowl, with the ripest ones on the end to eat first. And now you've been going to the other side of the bowl, and picking whichever one you want! So you're eating the green ones first, while the others get riper and riper!"

"No I don't."

Yet the evidence clearly shows otherwise. It's always been a matter of 'when it's your turn, it's your turn.' Sometimes you get a bigger banana, sometimes a smaller. Sometimes it has more tiny freckled spots than the next one. That's just luck of the draw. It's not like I secretly arrange them late at night to favor myself with the second one in line. You get what you get. 

Unless you're Farmer H, and pick out the best one from wherever it sits in the bowl.

4 comments:

River said...

The ones with the yellow skin and tiny freckled dots are the perfectly ripe ones ready for eating. I always chose those for eating myself and for mashing into oatmeal or yoghurt for my babies until they were old enough to hold and eat a banana, then I gave them those perfectly ripe ones. Sounds like Farmer H belongs to the crowd that thinks bananas are supposed to be crunchy instead of soft.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I agree about the freckles. Those bananas are perfect with my generic honey nut cheerios. Farmer H likes the green ones without much taste. I guess he expects them to stay green for four days!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

According to Pinterest, you should wrap the stems with saran wrap to keep them from turning brown. But, like you I like mine when they reach that sweet spot, with a few brown spots!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I just heard someone talking about that the other day!