Friday, January 20, 2023

Once Again, We Pose The Question, "WHAT, Exactly, Is WRONG With People?"

On my way to town Thursday, around 2:00, I saw a loose dog lurking around the stop sign where our blacktop road meets the blacktop lettered highway by the long high bridge. It was a blue heeler. I've not seen one in this area before. The closest house has a german shepherd. I'm afraid somebody pulled over and dumped that heeler. I told Farmer H when I got home.

"I saw it there this morning on my way to town. I was afraid it would get run over by the time I came home, but it was still there."

"I'd take it. But it was gone when I came back."

"I don't think Jack would get along with another dog."

"If it was a female he would. I didn't notice what this one was. Heelers can be a handful, though. They're so smart. And stubborn!"

We don't know where that dog went. I'll look for it tomorrow. Not that I could catch it or anything. I don't want to get bit, either! I didn't notice if it had on a collar. It was sturdy, like it had been fed regularly. But a dog out roaming from its home isn't going to hang around a stop sign at the end of a road for six hours. I suppose the dumpers think somebody will take it in. 

4 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I heard that about female and male dogs getting along together. I don't find it to be true. Bo and Eddie are quite close, Toni tends to be a little bit mean. I wonder how she would do with a female puppy? I think it has more to do with personalities and the way the new dog is introduced into the family.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
My Sweet, Sweet Juno has grown a bit mean in her advanced years. Jack still gets along with her. He defers to her top-dogged-ness. He won't challenge her, and walks away stiff-legged when she steals his food. Jack will go after Copper Jack to remind him he's at the bottom of the pecking order. Since Jack still has all his boy parts, I'm sure he would find SOME WAY to get along with a female dog...

We have always introduced our new pack members with treats and much petting for the already-here dogs. It takes Juno longer to warm up to a new one. Small pets like puppies and cats make her skittish. Sometimes she jumps straight up in the air to avoid them winding under her legs.

River said...

I'm guessing that heeler sniffed the air a bit, decided on her direction and took off for home. If her people dumped her they won't be happy to see her again.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
They DO have very good noses! And are very loyal to their people. Or more specifically, PERSON. I can do no wrong in Jack's eyes (and nose).