Wednesday, January 11, 2023

Even Steven Saw Fit To Balance Out The Deli Guy

Welp! I guess it's my own fault. Just a few days ago, I was boasting about having connections at Country Mart, with the Deli Guy giving me special treatment. Tuesday, I received less-than-special treatment, at the hands of a cashier. Not a cashier I regularly frequent. Nor will continue to...

Two cashiers were working. I'd been to the older one last time, and she was congenial enough. However, this time she had an old lady with a full cart, only half unloaded onto the conveyor. So I went to the other cashier, who was at the short checkout. She was half-turned around, acting like she was checking the cigarette inventory that they keep at that register. In all actuality, I belive she was just wanting me to NOT go to her line.

I only had a few items. All fit in the child seat. I had a deli salad, eight bananas, two bags of onions, a pack of cole slaw mix, and three small limes.

Here's the thing. When I was there a few days ago, the limes were 4/$1.00. Of course I got some! At one point, they were 4/$5.00. Anyhoo, a couple days ago, the sign above said "Small Limes 4/$1.00." There was only one size limes. I was surprised to see on Tuesday that they were now: "Small Limes 3/$1.00." Still, it was a bargain compared to their usual prices. I don't know why the change mid-week. The sales always start on Wednesday.

Anyhoo... I put my three small limes in a bag, and didn't think to check the price the cashier was ringing up until I was back in T-Hoe. 

SHE CHARGED ME $1.50 FOR THREE LIMES!

Not only that, they were listed as LARGE LIMES, 3 @ $.50.

It was not worth the wear and tear on my knees to go back in to the service desk and ask for a refund of $.50. Even though I deserved it.

Those limes were the exact same size as the ones I got earlier. I put them all on the counter together. Farmer H likes one in his whiskey and Diet Shasta. I sometimes add half of a lime to my Diet Shasta.

The Deli Guy would be appalled if I told him of this slight, I'm sure...

6 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

I often wonder about people who don't even look look at the reciept. They just pay and accept the total as being what it should be. As tired as I am and have been for the past couple of weeks, I probably would have let that 50 cents go, too!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
Well, then you'll have to devote time to wondering about ME! To be fair, I often don't have my glasses, so "looking" at the receipt would be all I could do. Not READ it!

Also, I try to avoid confrontation. Though I DID go back and complain that ONE TIME about the Red Skin Potato Salad that I thought I was overcharged for. I got a refund of the difference in the sale price, but was told that it was all the potato salads EXCEPT Red Skin that were on sale. Even though they were in the same place, with no sign saying so. The worker at the service desk agreed that it was a scam!

River said...

Were there small and large limes in separate bins? it could be hard to distinguish between them, but at least she could have asked. here things are usually marked as "each" with no differentiation for size, or they are marked "per kilo" so it's easier. I think that girl just wanted to be left to her daydreaming.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
There has only ever been one bin for limes. Sometimes they call them large, sometimes they call them small. The price varies a lot. I think they experiment to see the maximum people will pay! The only other version of a "lime" is the plastic container shaped like a lime, with lime juice inside.

I think the lemons were 4 for $5.00. So I didn't buy lemons! You definitely have to have your wits about you when you shop at Country Mart! I agree that the cashier didn't like being interrupted.

I should have said, when she picked up the bag I put them in: "That's the limes, 3 for a dollar." She could have rung it up, or disputed me, in which case I would have told her to go look at the sign, or that I didn't want them. I didn't say it, though, because I don't want them to think I'm telling them how to do their job!

River said...

Somebody needs to tell them how to do their job. Might as well be you.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I am done with teaching!