Sunday, January 8, 2023

Mrs. HM Has Connections

While I was in Country Mart on Friday, I decided to get a few chicken tenders. We were having Chinese food for supper, but I can stretch mine (with some of Farmer H's leftover rice) into three meals. So the chicken could be added to that. Farmer H doesn't like the leftovers like The Pony and I do. So he will be getting chicken and dumplings, the shortcut version.

Anyhoo... I didn't see any chicken tenders in the cold case. They package them and sell a few at a time. The Deli Guy was standing behind the counter, and I greeted him. Then asked if he had any chicken tenders.

"We sure do. I can make you a dinner with three of them and two sides."

"No. I don't want a dinner, just a few tenders. Maybe four."

"This is your lucky day. For you, they're buy three, get one free!"

"You always look out for me! Thank you so much!"

He put three tenders into a bag and weighed it. Put the price sticker on. Then added another tender to the bag. While he was doing that, a man came in, and Deli Guy greeted him by name, asking how work was that day. 

He's a gem, that Deli Guy.

4 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

That was a good deal! Sam's Club used to give away the roasted chickens about 15 minutes before closing time! I was never lucky enough to be there at closing time.

River said...

Definitely a gem, I hope he works there a long time, just for you.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
The Deli Guy has my best interests in mind! When I worked at Casey's, we'd have to throw out the broasted chicken a half hour before closing. We'd call one of the other clerks who had a family and less money, and she'd send her husband up to wait by the dumpster. We put the "old" chicken in a clean trash bag by itself, and set it on top of the dumpster lid. Then he'd pick it up. No waste!

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
I hope he works there a long time, too. He has a pleasant attitude!