Sunday, January 29, 2023

The Pony Grows Disillusioned

The Pony has taken to shopping less at the Devil's Playground, and more at Country Mart. There is a Country Mart literally across the street from the post office. So easy for The Pony to dash in there after work, then drive the couple blocks to his house, rather than going past his house for five minutes to the Devil's Playground. Still not a hardship, but after a hard day at work, convenience is the key.

The Pony still gets his non-food supplies at the Devil's Playground, and picks up things for me that I can't get at Country Mart. He used to go a couple times a month, but lately it has been about every six weeks, when he runs out of staples like the frozen foods he likes to keep on hand.

Anyhoo... Friday evening, The Pony sent me a text. His texts usually come at one of two times: when I'm trying to sleep after just going to bed mid-morning, or when I'm trying to prepare supper for Farmer H. I don't complain. It's not like I'm bound by a schedule. I would never hurt The Pony's feelings by making him think he's inconveniencing me.

"Bought discounted steak at Country Mart."


"Excellent sticker placement."


"I think it's because of the sticker. Pressure does that. Like if I stack something on top of my hamburger package. Should be fine if it smells okay."

"I mean, I don't usually sniff meat. AFAIK it smells fine."

"I sniff it when it's on the date. After I have it home, and get ready to cook it. Not in the store!"

"But yeah, it had two dollars cut off the price and is supposedly good for two days from now."

"I haven't had trouble with their meat."

Tomorrow I'll show you The Pony's meal table...

4 comments:

River said...

I'm glad the meat doesn't get sniffed in store. We had a lot of trouble with that a long while ago, a male customer would rip a tiny hole in the packaging to be able to smell the meat and then he would put the packages back on the shelf where of course nobody would buy them because the packages were ripped. They caught him by putting up a surveillance camera. Oddly enough, he never bought any meat. Perhaps he simply reported to someone at home that the meat was fresh.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
Sweet Gummi Mary! That is just a plain old WEIRDO! He wasn't reporting fresh meat to anybody. He was just a sniffer!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

If I saw someone poking holes in meat packages I would make sure everyone knew! Not just the manager of the store, but everyone in the store! I am not afraid to shame people if they act stupid. I always sniff my meat before cooking it. I would rather know before I add heat to it and smell up the entire house! I have never sniffed it in the store, either. The flourescent lights tend to make the meat turn colors, nothing wrong with the meat, though.

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
You could volunteer in all your SPARE TIME to be the Meat Police. Maybe you could get a little sash with your title. You could make it yourself, in the rest of your spare time!