Sunday, January 22, 2023

I Still Haven't Figured Out What, Exactly, Is Wrong With People

While I was getting my scratchers out of the machine on the right at Country Mart on Saturday, I sensed someone lurking behind me. I looked over my left shoulder, and saw two women who were not spring chickens. 

I wasn't taking long. I had NO WINNERS, so I had put in cash. A five and a one, to get two of the $3 scratchers. Before I could tap the screen for the second one, I sensed movement on my right. A quick peep revealed the scroungier of the two not-spring chickens, almost under my armpit!

THEN SHE COUGHED!

WHAT IN THE NOT-HEAVEN WAS WRONG WITH THIS GAL???

I hurriedly grabbed my second ticket and took off. That was just rude. The left machine was open, with no sign taped to it. They could have easily used that one. Or just waited a proper distance behind me.

Society is collapsing. And now Farmer H can't build my proposed handbasket factory until he has his back surgery!

4 comments:

Kathy's Klothesline said...

You would think that after the pandemic, people would be more aware of things like coughing and handwashing. But they all seem to think it is "over" and they can go back to their slovenly ways!

Hillbilly Mom said...

Kathy,
I am not a fanatic about people masking up, but I draw the line at them getting in my personal space and letting their phlegm fly without even putting a filthy hand over their mouth! Just today, a teenage girl in Casey's started hacking in my direction, while waiting in line with her mother and sister, and nobody even admonished her to cover her infested pie-hole!

River said...

Coughing so close IS rude! and just yesterday I saw a young couple attending an "Open for inspection" house for sale and as they walked out HE was coughing loudly and they weren't wearing masks! I hope they didn't spread germs all over the inside.

Hillbilly Mom said...

River,
The old "cough into your elbow" trick would work fine. It stops what you're spewing out, and you don't go around grabbing doorknobs and handling merchandise with your elbow! I don't so much trust a mask other than blocking blobs of snot. Viruses are small enough to pass through the weave, and the blobs are trapped on the mask to be exhaled through as long as the mask is on.

As long as future house-lookers don't touch their face after their tour, they should be fine. It's not like they're going to lick the surfaces!